Fifteen

I awoke in the middle of the night as the need to pee overtook me. How would I pee underwater? Was there a bathroom I could use? Delmare was entangled around me, his arms wrapped protectively across my body as he nestled closer to me in his sleep.

"Delmare," I said, slightly above a whisper as I shook his shoulder. "Delmare, wake up."

He mumbled in his sleep, his voice sleepy when he sat up. "What, what's wrong?"

"I have to pee."

"You always have to pee," he teased, rubbing his eyes as he tried to wake himself up.

"Well, I am peeing for two people," I replied pointedly as I stood, unraveling myself from the covers, Delmare following me.

"That's true," he replied as he led me into another room where a bathtub, toilet, and sink sat, looking completely new. "Close the door, please."

"Um, okay," I said, doing as I was told. Suddenly, the water around us drained away and we both fell to the floor, breathing in oxygen. "What just happened?"

"My mother just drained the castle of water. She does it every once in a while, but lately she had been talking about making it permanent," Delmare explained. He motioned toward the toilet and I immediately sat on it.

I was still trying to figure out how they could drain the castle in mere seconds. I stood and I walked to the sink, surprised to see water gushing out of the faucet. Looking up at Delmare inquisitively, he only smiled as I washed my hands.

"How do you guys have plumbing? Wouldn't the water pressure be too much for it?" I asked as I went to wring the water out of my hair, only noticing as I touched it that my hair was entirely dry. "What the—? Why am I not wet?"

"You are asking a lot of questions right now, Annie." He yawned. "Can I answer them in the morning?"

I pursed my lips, looking away as I realized it was still in the middle of the night, but now I didn't think I could go back to sleep now that my mind was abuzz with hundreds of questions. I nodded my head, watching Delmare escape the bathroom and make his way back under the covers.

Sighing, I followed him, the blanket still warm as I lay on my back, staring at the ceiling. In mere seconds, Delmare was asleep beside me, his arms wrapped around me as if begging me to follow in his footsteps back into the calming abyss of sleep. But, I couldn't. My mind was busy, overwhelmed with the events of the past few days and months that had filled my life and controlled my future. I needed to think, to process everything, but I couldn't while Delmare slept peacefully beside me.

Carefully exiting the bed, I casually unhooked a robe from the wardrobe, wrapping it securely around myself as I opened the door that led into the hallway. Wincing as it let out a loud squeak, I looked over at Delmare, who still slept soundly on the bed. Holding my breath, I made my way into the hallway, shutting the bedroom door, careful not to make a lot of noise. I turned around, immediately facing a guard.

"My lady, what are you doing up this late?" He paused on his route, turning toward me with a concerned look. "You should be in bed."

"I'm sorry, sir, but I can't sleep." I paused. "Can you escort me to the library? I don't want to be a bother, but I don't know where it is."

"My lady, I don't think it will be a wise idea to escort you without a chaperone," he said again, this time in a more professional manner.

"I'm not going to sleep with you!" I exclaimed. "Can you give me directions? I'll just go by myself."

He sighed before reluctantly informing me that the library was down the hallway and to the left. After thanking him, I made my way that direction, my feet padding against the somewhat warm floor, making a slight echo throughout the hall. Lit sconces glowed along the walls, lighting up part of the hallway as I pulled open the library door, the creaking sound of the door echoing throughout the halls. A few sconces filled the room, and a candle lay unlit on a table next to a stack of books. Lighting a match, I lit the wick, the candle burning brightly as the fire took hold. I picked the candle up and walked along a shelf of books, starring at the wording along the bindings. Most of the languages I didn't recognize, but one I did. Pulling the book out from the shelf, I walked over to the table, setting the book down along with the candle and took a seat. Just as I was about to open the book to read, someone barged into the library, closing the door quietly behind them before making their way toward me.