Seventeen

After breakfast, Theodosia insisted that I ask for the help of the maids as they were getting paid and they should be able to do their job. As much as I hated having things done for me, I agreed, knowing that I probably would never get used to it. This was a part of what meant to be in the Royal Court. When we arrived back in my room, two ladies curtsied as they greeted us.

"Good morning, my lady, your Highness," one of them greeted, her hair dark and striking against the blue sea glass of the castle walls. Her skin was a dark chocolate brown and, like magic, had no blemishes across her skin. She turned to Delmare, her eyes sad. "I'm so sorry for your loss. The late king will be missed."

"Thank you," Delmare said. "What are your names?"

"My name is Consuela, and this is Ondina," she replied, not looking Delmare in the eyes.

"It is nice to meet you both," he said before turning to me and kissing me quickly on the cheek. "I have some things I need to do but I will come by to see you later."

"Where are you going?" I asked, turning around as he walked toward the door.

"I need to start the preparations for my father's funeral."

"Do you want help? You don't need to go alone," I replied, worry clear in my voice.

"No, Annie, it's fine."

I shook my head, reaching for his arm as he grabbed the door handle. "No, let me come with you. I will not let you do this alone."

He looked at me, smiling a little, but worry and concern was still there. "Okay. We'll do this together. But afterward, we're seeing the physician, alright? I don't want you getting stressed out and risk hurting the baby."

"You're with child?" one of the maids asked. We both turned around. It was Ondina who had spoken, her violet eyes burning with excitement against her aqua-colored hair.

Delmare cursed under his breath as he mumbled something I couldn't hear.

"Yes, I am," I said, turning to Delmare. "I thought everyone knew."

"No, we haven't even announced that you exist."

"Oh," I replied, turning back to the women standing excitedly in front of us. "Can we keep this between us? The kingdom will know in time, but we would like to stick to our timeline."

"Of course, my lady," Consuela said, giddy with excitement.

I nodded, but still knew they might tell everyone they knew regardless of us asking it to stay quiet. At least they didn't know about our engagement, but I suppose it was implied if I was pregnant with the soon-to-be king's heir.

Walking with Delmare through the halls, I held on to his arm, my shoes not making a sound as we walked. I followed him into a room with another pair of double doors where Theodosia and the captain who had escorted me last night stood behind a table covered with several sheets of paper. They both looked up, Theodosia looking worse than she had this morning, but the captain was calm besides the hint of sadness in his eyes. Ronan must have been a good man if his death had this much effect on his people. I wish I had known him longer.

"Good morning, Prince Delmare, Lady Anna," the captain greeted as I moved to stand beside Theodosia, grasping her hand and squeezing it, a choked sob escaping her lips. At the sound, I couldn't help but hug her, feeling for her as both of our emotions fell around us.

"Anna," Delmare said from behind me. "Anna, why don't you take my mother outside? It would be good for both of you to get to know each other."

"What about you?" I asked, turning around. "I can't leave you here to do this by yourself."