Twenty-One

ATTENTION READER!

If you are under the age of eighteen, there are scenes in this chapter that are for mature audiences only. These scenes include on page sex, which is why this book is for mature audiences, and I (as the author) suggest that you skip that particular scene, which is at the end of this chapter. Skipping that scene will not keep you from the story.

Thanks! ~Kayla 🌊

-----
The scratchy sheets that were draped over me clung to my skin when I finally awoke, my head throbbing while I tried to sit up but failed to do so. My limbs felt heavy and sore, and the queasy feeling in my stomach hinted that I hadn't eaten in hours, maybe days. What happened to me?

With a groan, I shifted under the blankets, my mind filling with hundreds of questions as I forced my eyelids open. A white light shown in my face, forcing me to shut my eyes, shielding myself from the blinding light. Cautiously, my eyes fell open again, hoping my eyes would adjust to the surrounding light. Blinking several times, I immediately recognized the room filled with beds and the desk along one wall. Turning over on my side, I caught sight of Delmare curled up in a chair beside me. His facial hair had grown, and his hair was a mess on top of his hair. Dark crescents shadowed his eyes and his skin was an ashen color, as if he had been worrying himself sick. Reaching over, I lightly touched his knee, hoping to comfort him even though I was too weak to get up. Why was I like this? What had happened?

"Good, you're awake!" George said as he hustled across the room toward me. I tensed up at the sharp sound of his voice. "It's alright, dear. I brought you some water. Do you need help to sit up?" he asked as he set the glass down on the side table.

I nodded. "What happened?" I asked, my voice hoarse. George helped me into a sitting position. "Am I sick? Are the babies okay?"

"I will explain everything, but first you need to drink something." He handed me the glass of water and I guzzled it down as if I had just spent the last twenty-four hours in a desert.

"Someone had poisoned your breakfast this morning," George stated firmly. "Thankfully, it was a mild poison, only intending to put the victim in a coma. We have yet to find the traitor, but once we do, they will be punished for their crimes."

"Why would anyone poison me?" I asked, fear filling me. "Only those working in the palace know I exist."

"We believe it might have been a Syren. It must have evaded our guards up until the night of the funeral." He paused. "The heirs are fine, completely healthy. There is no need to worry."

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked, turning to look at Delmare who stirred.

"Four days." He paused as Delmare sprang from the chair, his face filled with relief at the sight of me awake and unharmed.

In an instant, he was by my side, tears flowing down his face as he looked me up and down. Instinctively, I ran my hand through his hair as he sat next to me. He wrapped his arms around me, and I instantly relaxed.

"I'm so glad you're awake," he said, kissing me all over, unable to control himself any longer as his emotions overtook him. "Are you okay? You aren't hurting anywhere, right? Do you want anything? Are you hungry?"

"I think I'm okay," I replied, turning to him. I smiled softly, the soreness in my limbs spreading across my body as my stomach growled. "I'm a little sore and hungry."

"What do you want to eat?" he inquired as he got up, standing near the bed, his eyes filled with a purple hue.

I sat up, trying to think of what I wanted. I was craving a big, fat, juicy hamburger, the kind that clogs your pores but tastes so good you can't resist.