Thirteen

As I played with Delmare's hair, he rested his head on my breasts despite the soreness that filled them. His eyes were closed as we laid there peacefully, holding on to each other. It was nearly one in the afternoon and I knew by now the sun would be high in the sky, the water warm and ready to greet the beach lovers.

He mumbled in his sleep, wrapping his arm around my waist tighter, protectively pulling me closer to him. I sighed as my bladder set off alarms. I discretely tried to escape his hold on me without waking Delmare.

"Mmm, no, don't go," he mumbled, reaching for me as I sat up, resting his head against my back.

"I have to pee," I insisted, the bed squeaking as I stood. "I'll be gone for just a moment."

I heard him let out a loud sigh as I used the restroom. I wasn't sure if he was being so protective or clingy because of the baby or what, but it was getting annoying. I wasn't helpless; I could take care of myself. As I washed my hands, I looked up and stared at myself in the mirror, realizing the dark crescents under my eyes had disappeared and the worried look I had had a few days before had quickly vanished. Smiling a bit at my reflection, I made my way back to bed, wrapping my arms around Delmare before squeezing him tight.

"You know, we can't stay in bed all day," I mumbled, gaining a groan of protest from the merman cuddling with me. "I thought it would be good for us to get some sun."

"What if I say no?" he protested, turning to me with a mischievous look in his eyes.

"Then I'll go by myself and you can stay here alone," I replied, hopping out of bed. I shimmied out of my clothes to pull on my swimsuit. My bump was noticeable now. It no longer looked like I was bloated; it was obvious I was pregnant. Pulling a cover up over my body, I tied the string around my waist before grabbing my beach bag and swinging it onto my shoulder. "Are you coming?"

"Hang on, let me get my trunks on."

I left our bedroom and made my way into the kitchen to stuff a few water bottles into my bag.

As I shut the fridge door, Delmare came behind me wearing nothing but his swim trunks and a smile. Grabbing his hand, we walked outside, toward the white sandy beaches of Myrtle Beach. Our feet touched the hot, powdery sand as the water crashed ahead of us. I set the bag down when we were about halfway between home and the water, then grinned at him mischievously and made a dash for the water, letting go of his hand as my feet dug into the sand. Within seconds, my feet were greeted by the warm water of the Atlantic. Normally it would feel good, but not as good as it currently felt against my skin. It felt absolutely perfect.

"Anna, what are you doing?!" I heard Delmare yell from behind me as I squished my toes into the wet sand.

"I'm taking a walk!" I called back, as I heard him jog toward me.

"Just be careful," he said beside me.

"You act as if I'll fall apart at any moment," I teased, walking further into the water so the waves sprayed over my calves. "A little water hurt no one."

He shook his head before lacing his fingers with mine as we walked along the surf. Delmare could decide whether he had a tail, so he could still dip his legs in the water with me as we trailed along the wet sand, the water flowing around our feet. Leaning my head on his shoulder as we walked, I breathed in the salt-filled air, feeling entirely at peace as we walked together.

"I want to go for a swim. Do you want to come with me?" I asked, turning to him.

"Sure, but I get to carry you." He grinned mischievously before hoisting me up in his arms. He walked into the sea until the water reached his chest, then he gently set me into the sea.