Twenty-Nine

The swim to the Stowryn kingdom was quiet, and by the time we made it to the Saltheir homestead, hours had gone by. It was a quaint home covered in vibrant coral, and the door looked as if it were made of a ship's hull. We followed John inside, Delmare's hand entwined with mine as John explained what happened on shore. We watched silently as Adam grieved for his wife's death, shock being replaced with an overwhelming sadness. Within minutes, the men went into action, all three of them setting up the pyre as I sat next to Claire's body.

My lip quivered, my mind on the many moments I had spent with the woman now lying beside me. I missed her, and I wanted her here. I wanted to show her the kingdoms, to introduce her to my babies once they were born. I wanted her to meet the woman her son was in love with and watch them get married. Why had it attacked her? Why couldn't it have been me?

I wondered if she was happy in heaven or wherever she had gone. Would she be able to meet my parents? Maybe she and my mom could catch up. Looking down, I felt Ronan and Chelsea kick my stomach, although I wasn't sure which of them it was. Closing my eyes, I rubbed my stomach and tried to smile, but a sob escaped instead.

God, I was such a mess. Why was my life so up and down? It was just one thing after another. I just wanted a day that had no events whatsoever, where I could spend the day relaxing. But I didn't think I would get that until our Syren problem was solved and I knew stress wasn't good for the babies.

Suddenly, the water felt warm around me. I was shocked as a white glow shone along Claire's wounds. Within seconds, her wounds were healed and I stared in disbelief as her chest rose and fell before me. Oh my God, this can't be happening.

"Delmare!"

"What is it, Annie?" Delmare called as I looked over at him. "What's wrong? You look like you just saw a ghost."

"Delmare, she's breathing!" I exclaimed, checking her pulse. I realized I wasn't seeing things when I felt her steady pulse against my fingers. "Get over here! We have to take her to a doctor. How is this possible?"

"What's going on?" Adam called as the men came toward me and I shifted Claire's head to rest on my legs.

"She's alive! I don't know how this is possible, but she is! We need to take her to a doctor. Isn't there a doctor at Avisa's castle? Let's take her there."

I couldn't keep the excitement from overwhelming me as Delmare's confusion was replaced with understanding. "There's only one being I know who can bring someone back from the dead, and that's Kyanen."

"Who's Kyanen?"

"He's the God of Life, the brother of Keilani. I haven't met him personally because he lives in the Otherworld," Delmare explained as Daniel took his wife in his arms, kissing her softly on her forehead.

"Let's go," I said motioning for them to follow me as I swam in the castle's direction, determined to save Claire even if I had to barge into the castle unannounced.

***

The sound of the shower running pulled me out of my dreamless sleep. I wasn't sure when I had fallen asleep, and a part of me wasn't sure where I was. Sitting up in bed, I looked around the room, suddenly remembering that we were staying in Avisa's palace until Claire got better. The doctor had said she was in some kind of coma, but her wounds had healed completely, as if she hadn't been hurt at all.