Nine

The soreness in my hips reminded me of the afternoon I had spent with Delmare. It was uncomfortable, yet amazing at the same time. We lay together in bed, our arms and legs wrapped together in a tangled mess while the sun shone through the window, dancing across the waves. I stifled a yawn as Delmare nestled closer to me in his sleep. He mumbled something I couldn't understand, his nose brushing against the exposed skin of my neck. Trying not to disturb him, I shifted onto my back. His arm instinctively wrapped around my waist and he rested his head on my chest. The sudden movement though made my bladder hate me and I groaned slightly. "Delmare," I whispered, touching his shoulder softly shaking him. "I need to get out of bed."

I did not get any words in response, only groans as he wrapped his leg around me, further keeping me cuddled up to him. I shook my head. "If you don't let me get out of bed, I will pee myself," I proclaimed.

He immediately let go of me, moving over before sitting up in bed. Jumping out of bed, I ran to the bathroom, throwing the door closed so I could empty my bladder.

After washing my hands, I got dressed for work and then I made my way into the kitchen, grabbing the box of Corn Flakes from the cabinet and pouring myself a bowl of cereal. As I did, I felt strong arms wrap around my waist. He kissed the back of my head, sending butterflies to my stomach immediately at his touch.

"Good morning," Delmare murmured in my ear, still hugging me close while I poured the milk.

"Good morning," I said, taking a step backwards.

Delmare moved with me.

"I have to grab a spoon."

He sighed, letting me go so he could walk to the coffeemaker to make himself a cup of coffee. Not that he needed it—he was always a ball of energy. Grabbing a spoon from the drawer, I scooped the cereal and took a bite, watching Delmare pour the coffee grounds into the coffeemaker, the smell of coffee filling the kitchen.

"So, what do you want to do today?" Delmare asked, turning to me before reaching up to grab a mug from the cabinet.

"Hmm," I hummed. "It's supposed to be a nice day today. You could probably go swimming if you wanted to. You can't keep avoiding it, you haven't spoken to your family in over a month. They are bound to wonder where you went. And besides, it's only a few hour swim right? You'll be back before you know it." I commented, turning to him as I set my bowl down on the counter, wanting him to know he had my full attention.

His eyes were light blue and he frowned, sadness filled his face. "I haven't talked to them since I met you, but you are probably right, they might be worried about me. If I'm being honest, I'm not sure if I want to go back. I don't want to leave you here."

I shook my head. "I'll be fine. Besides, you handle my nine-hour shifts at work just fine. This will be nothing," I replied, walking toward him. I cupped his cheek in my hand while he looked down at me. "Go see your family, Delmare. They have every right to know you're safe and well. Cherish them, because they won't always be there."

I fought back the sadness in my voice as I hugged him, remembering I had yet to find closure with my parents' deaths. I didn't want his parents to feel the pain of thinking their child was dead. "Besides, you can tell them you won't be able to marry that other Symari because you have a hot ass human in South Carolina." I grinned, letting him go.

He chuckled slightly. "Yeah, that's true," he said, hesitation still evident in his tone.

"Delmare, if I have to drag you into the sea so you'll see your family, I will. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Besides, I think your day might be a lot more interesting than my boring day doing lab work."