Twenty-Five

I awoke from my nap, wrapped snuggly against Delmare. His breathing was slow and deep, confirming he was still fast asleep. I wasn't sure how long we had been asleep, but I silently wished I could fall back into the dreamless rest I had grown so fond of. Shifting in my spot, I tried to move my arm, hoping I could ease the numbness and let the blood flow freely again. Instinctively, Delmare wrapped his arms around me again, pulling me closer to him in his sleep.

"Delmare," I mumbled, trying to unravel myself from him.

He groaned in protest.

"Delmare, get up."

"Go back to sleep," he said, whispering in my ear as he snuggled closer to me. Something hard pressed against my butt and I could only guess what that was.

"Delmare, we have to get up. We can't stay in bed all day," I replied, louder this time as I turned onto my side to face him, resting my head on my hand.

His eyes were still closed, but I could tell he wasn't asleep. Grinning mischievously, I gasped, grasping his hand as I enthusiastically lied that the children were kicking. Immediately, his eyes opened, bright with excitement. He placed a hand on my stomach hoping to feel a successful kick, but the disappointment was clear on his face when there wasn't one.

"Why would you lie like that?" he asked as I pulled him out of bed.

"It was the only way I'd get you out of bed." I grinned, ruffling his hair before turning to go take a shower.

I still wasn't sure how they had plumbing down here, but I was thankful I could take a decent shower instead of never taking one at all. Stretching, I heard and felt the satisfying pop of my back as I padded into the bathroom, closing the door behind me with a click. Absentmindedly, I twirled my hair, a habit I thought I had gotten rid of years ago. I turned the faucet on, feeling the warm water flow from the waterfall-like showerhead. Letting my clothes fall to the floor, I quietly stepped into the shower. Over the sound of the water, I heard the door open and close. I peeked through the shower curtain to find Delmare smiling at me, then pointing at the toilet. With a nod, I turned my attention to the bar of soap that rested on the shelf made of driftwood. As I lathered my body with soap, I tried to ignore the sound of Delmare using the restroom beside the shower. I rinsed myself, attempting to ease the grogginess that threatened to make me crawl back into bed with Delmare.

Suddenly, though, the water turned icy. I jumped from the stream of water just as Delmare apologized, cursing under his breath as he quickly washed his hands and turned the sink off. Immediately, the water turned warm again, and I rinsed.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I paused before shutting the water off and grabbing a towel from its hook. I dabbed myself dry, looking over at him as his eyes wandered. "If you want to take a shower, you can. I was going to go downstairs to read some more, your Highness." I grinned, wrapping the towel around myself as I walked back out of the bathroom and padded toward the dresser.

"Okay, but wait for me to be done before you go," he called as I grabbed an outfit from the dresser and changed.

"Okay!" I called back, walking into the nursery. I stared at the tiny mobiles that were made to look like different sea creatures. Smiling to myself, making my way over to the rocking chair, staring at the still-discarded ball of yarn and the disgrace I hoped would magically turn into a blanket. Easing down, I rested my head on the back of the rocking chair, and began rocking softly as I rested my hand on my stomach. My mind wandered to South Carolina as I wondered how Claire was doing and if my coworkers thought about where I went. Would they send a search party for me? Would I become a missing person and end up being one of the many cases that would never be solved?