Fourteen

I grabbed hold of Delmare's hand and he smiled over at me, his eyes burning gold. I let out a nervous laugh as he pulled me to his side, kissing me softly on my cheek. I laid my head on his shoulder and breathed. I just need a moment. This is a lot to take in.

"I know," he whispered. "Take all the time you need."

"It's just... I just found out I'm pregnant and now I have to meet your parents and I'll eventually rule a kingdom I know nothing about. It's a lot to take in and I'm worried that I'll make a fool of myself or that your parents won't like me. What if they hate me? What if—"

I was cut off as Delmare let go of my waist, moving in front of me, placing both of his hands on my face, his expression entirely sincere. "I know it is a lot and we will work through it together. I'm sure my parents will love you. I understand you are nervous and worried, but you won't be alone in any of this. I will help you, and I know my parents will as well," he said, his tone sincere.

"Okay," I breathed out. "I'm ready now."

He nodded before offering his arm. I took it, holding on to him as he led me to wherever his parents were. We rounded a few corridors, and I was sure we were lost until two guards opened a pair of double doors not too far from where we were swimming. As we entered, someone said our names and a couple stood. I nervously tugged on my dress, unsure of what I should do.

"Oh, Delmare, you're back!" a woman exclaimed, her voice filling the room with an angelic sound.

The Symari standing before us wore her violet hair up in several braids, her crown resting atop her head, her silver eyes and tail flashing against her pale skin. Delmare let go, swimming over to hug his mother, who kissed him quickly on the cheek before turning to me. Her expression was entirely warm as she looked at me fondly before swimming over to me. I immediately stopped fidgeting, frozen in place as she came toward me and placed her warm hand on my cheek before quickly hugging me. The comfort I felt immediately consuming me as I relaxed, almost certain that there was no reason to be worried at all. I wrapped my arms around her as well.

"It's good to finally meet you, Anna." She smiled, her eyes shining bright. "I was hoping we could have tea tomorrow, so we can get to know each other better." She turned to the merman who hadn't moved, who I assumed was the king. His hair was as black as Delmare's and I could see where Delmare got his looks from. He was definitely a mix of both of his parents. "Honey, say hello."

"I'm trying to decide why a human is an excellent choice as the wife to our son and the mother of our grandchildren, as I can see that they have already sired children," he said, before turning to Delmare. "You've only known this human for a month and you're sleeping with her?" I clenched my jaw while the king and Delmare's father stared at me with a look of pure distrust. "If you had married Emilia like you were told to, none of this would have happened!"

"Father, do not talk about Anna that way!" Delmare bellowed beside me, making me jump at the loudness of his voice. "I will not have you hate her because you hate her race. She is kind, thoughtful, and cares about the ocean and its citizens. She is my Mate, and an amazing woman, and I can think of no one better to rule beside me as my wife and help raise our children, which we will do together. You will no longer control my life, and if being with Anna means I will give up my right as heir, so be it."

I held my breath as the room went silent, no one speaking a word. I looked at Delmare, his eyes flashing red as I reached for his hand, hoping to comfort him. I laced his fingers with mine, giving them a quick squeeze as I looked over at Delmare's mother. She looked at me apologetically, glaring at her husband for a moment before looking back at her son. Someone in the crowd began a slow clap.