Thirty-Two

The game of Connect Four Sedna was trying to distract me with wasn't helping, much to her disappointment. This was the seventh game she had played with me that day, hoping I would stop worrying. Unfortunately, it only made me worry more. It had been three weeks since Delmare had left, and I had been on bed rest since then, my back pain getting worse as I got nearer and nearer to my due date. Claire had written to me a week ago, wanting to come visit, and would arrive today. I was glad she wanted to visit, but I felt like I was being watched, as if I would break down any moment.

"Anna, are you listening?"

"What?" I asked, looking up as Sedna placed her final token, making four in a row.

"I was asking if you were hungry."

"Oh, I'm not hungry," I replied, flipping the bottom lever to make all the pieces fall to the table.

"Are you sure?" she asked, an eyebrow raised as she threw the red and yellow pieces back into the box just as my stomach growled, betraying me.

"I just—" I paused, looking away, feeling a little guilty that I had lied. "I don't feel like eating."

Sedna sighed, shaking her head at me as she put the game back into its cubby. "Well, you're going to have to eat something. You can't just not eat because you don't feel like it."

"I know," I replied just as the door opened and Theodosia strode in, her violet-colored hair up in perfect braids, unlike my hair, which I knew was a total mess.

I had noticed that the children hadn't been as active as they had been in weeks prior, and I wondered if it was because we were so close to the due date. I was due in a week, and not only was I stressed about giving birth, I was also worrying about how Delmare was and if he was okay. I haven't heard from him since he left, and I did not know if he was alive. As if Theodosia could read my thoughts, she came over to me, wrapping her arms around me tight and whispering soothing words into my ear.

"How about we have brunch in the dining room?" Theodosia suggested with a smile.

"That sounds great!" Sedna smiled as she turned to me. "That sounds great, doesn't it, Anna?"

"Mmm," I hummed, as my stomach growled again, urging me to get out of bed and eat. "It sounds fine. Are you sure I should get up and everything?"

"Of course! A walk will do you good," Theodosia replied, helping me out of bed so I could stand after weeks of not doing anything.

Linking their arms in mine, we slowly made our way toward the dining room. What I expected when we opened the doors to the dining room was a delicious breakfast. What I didn't expect was to see Claire eating quietly at the table.

"Claire!" I exclaimed, rushing over to her to give her a quick hug.

"Hi, dear. How are you?"

"I'm okay," I breathed, taking a seat next to her as Sedna and Theodosia sat across from us.

"George says he's planning to come by later today to check on the condition of the twins," Theodosia said, stabbing something that looked suspiciously like seaweed and placed it onto her plate. "Are you still having back pain?"

I nodded, slapping a few pancakes onto my plate. "Yeah, my feet have been killing me and I've noticed the children aren't as active as they were before. I've also been getting some pelvic pain, but it doesn't last very long. I thought it was because I slept wrong."

I watched as Theodosia and Claire shared a knowing look before looking over at me. Claire touched my arm. "How long have these symptoms been going on?"