29

I prepare the table for dinner while I wait for Mom to come back from work. Scanning over the tabletop, I confirm that three spots have been set up before heading up to my room to get ready.

Opening my closet, I can't see from first glance any appropriate outfits to wear. After some digging, I find something to wear, and I pair it with the necklace that Asahi gave me at Christmas.

"Okay," I breathlessly say to myself, flattening down my outfit. I stare at myself in the mirror, and the longer that I do, the more the outfit reminds me of something I'd wear if I was going out with Asahi.

On impulse, I grab my phone from my desk. I unlock the screen and hesitantly navigate to the Camera app to snap a picture in my mirror. I start to feel my face redden as I feel a little bit embarrassed about my intentions.

I sigh and shut my eyes tightly before quickly finding Asahi's messages and selecting the photo to send to him. I start to twiddle my thumbs, thinking of something else to respond with. Something funny to offset the picture? A wish that he does well today? Should I ask his opinion on the outfit?

Eventually, I end up sending a message composed of the latter two options.

Suddenly, there's a loud knock on the door, startling me. I set down my cellphone and walk out of my room.

I run down the stairs and reach the front door promptly. Opening the door, I see Mom next to an unfamiliar figure.

"Hi, (Y/N)! This is Nakayama Shiro." Mom says chipperly, gesturing towards the boy on her right.

"Hi. It's nice to meet you." I relay to the boy as I take in his features.

Shiro has shorter, platinum-coloured hair, and he has darker-coloured office-wear on. His eyes appear gentle, and he already has a small smile on his face as we meet eyes. In comparison to Asahi, he seems to be marginally shorter in height.