Chapter 22: Woods.

Kai

Kai

"Son... come in," My dad spoke, his hand gesturing towards a seat in front of his desk. I stare at him with my brows furrowed before walking towards the chair in front of him. "Can you just call me Kai... or Mr. Everest at work? It's loud enough that everybody knows I'm your son," I replied as I sat down into the leather chair that fits my body like a glove. Dad just had to have the best things in his office. I wouldn't mind changing office with him.

He was studying some documents that he held in his hands. His eyes sharp while he scans every single thing that would be deemed off by him. I didn't say a word while I wait for him to finish his work first. There was no actual reason to why he was calling me here but... I think it's-

"You know what I want to take about, don't you?" He spoke, cutting my inner thoughts. I glance at him with stammering lips. Opening my mouth, I began to speak. "The... um-," There was no way to deny what he wanted to talk about, and I know too much that I can't escape.

Slumping my shoulder, I look down to my shiny black shoes. "Yes...,"

Dad shakes his head, but he let out a sigh. One that really sounds concerning. Not being all too present to continue his work, he sets the documents aside and turns to face me. Slowly, his hand went up to intertwined with each other as he closes his eyes. 

"Are you going through a rough time right now?" He questioned, taking me by surprise by how different his question would be. 

"Huh? What do you mean?" I returned, rubbing my sweaty hands over my trousers.

Dad sighs again, opening his closed eyes as he stares at me with all the evidence and supports he needs to take me down in one single blow. If there's one skill that he required from being with mom, it was his debate skill.

"You suddenly filed for a leave which you have never done before but then, of course, I have no power to restrict you from taking them. Then... you were on a sick leave yesterday which was pretty weird because if you were sick, it would take days or at least two days for you to recover because I used to take care of you often...,"

"I have-,"

"Also... did you ever realize or did you ever know that you've made mistakes in all the reports you've handed in this week? What is going on, Kai?" The old man ended, having me stunned in my seat because I had no reason to say that it was not true. I couldn't even build up a lie.

Looking down again, I fiddle with my fingers. "I don't have any excuse, sir," I mumbled, feeling ashamed of myself for even being the way he described.

"No... I'm not mad... it's just because I'm worried," He reassured, but then continue to make the most mind-boggling statement ever. "By any chance... is preparing to get married makes it hard for you to balance your time at work? If so, then I can give you another whole week for you to do that,"