Chapter 24: The Road Less Travelled.

Kai

Kai

I rushed to get to the front door, but not before forgetting that my car keys were still in the kitchen. Cursing to myself, I walk back into the kitchen to get the damn keys but still, all I see was Stan standing there trying to think of something that was going around endlessly in his brain. 

Even when he froze like that, I can't stay here longer. I needed to find Stan and one place he could be is at his apartment. The one where he first lived alone before moving in to live with me. Turning around, I left the speechless man still standing there but not before he grabs me by my shoulder and turns me around.

"Wait!" He spoke, finally having the power to speak. Both of his hands began to grab my shoulder tightly, and he pulled me close. There was worry on his face. There weren't any disappointment or anger or even hatred that covering his face no more.

"Calm down will you?! I- I'm scared that something might happen to you instead if you go out alone like this," I became surprised that he even still want to care for me after I said to him the truth about us. There were so many reasons he had to have hated me but this man... he's just so peculiar.

I didn't answer him with anything. I didn't have an answer at all. When he said it like that, I tried to think of any bad thing that could happen to me if I go. What was going to wait for me there? What trouble? Even worse... what feeling?

"Explain to me. Did Stan in this timeline go missing? Did he?" His voice was calm. He had successfully cool himself off after that wave of emotions that ran through him. I tried to understand what he was asking and think of the right words that I can say to him. 

With this kind of state of panic and rush, there was no way I could say something coherently but that doesn't mean I can't. So with a huge breath, I gather the most understandable way I could describe to him what had happened. "Stan... in this timeline, he hasn't even in contact with anyone else after we broke up... not even me," I started, arms going down lifelessly with the car keys dangling around my fingers. The sound it makes reminds me of a wind chime that would sound so beautifully annoying when hit by the invisible wind.

"Your seventeen self came here only two weeks ago and your twenty self came here a few days before. What if something bad actually happened to him? I can't even try to not think that he's okay when he disappeared just like that," 

He gapes his mouth a little - finally there was some kind of realization dawn upon him when I told him all about it. "Kai...," He let out... his eyes showed nothing that was close to concerned about his future whereabouts. 

"I'm sure I will be fine...," said the man with nothing to worry about his future self. About himself for god's sake. Why was he not being to worry about himself? Why was he worried about me?! This isn't about me at all, this is about him!

How can you be so kind and patient even in this situation?

"You shouldn't worry too much...," He added, making me feel squeamish by the kindness he showed. Not because I was annoyed but because he was being too nice towards himself. Like he didn't even pity himself. He didn't even try to even pity or think of the illest of himself.