Chapter 6: Scars

It was 8 in the evening, everyone was waiting for Louis to wake up. 

How could I be so fucking stupid!? I knew of his conditions, yet I still helped him go through with the play! I should've knocked him out and carry him to the ER myself! 

I was blaming myself the entire night for being this stupid, but Legoshi just patted me on the shoulder, reassuring that it wasn't my fault for Louis' decision.

He's right, even if I had done all of the above, Louis would've found a way to get back on the stage. He's just that stubborn... 

Everyone thought that it was best to leave Louis to rest, yet Legoshi and I stayed back, since both of us had the most guilt out of everyone. Then suddenly. 

"What time is it?" Louis!

After giving him the brief rundown of his 'fallen grace', Louis looked to Legoshi with praise. 

"So wolf, you finally found your conviction huh?" smirked Louis. "What are you talking about Louis?" As I was about to ramble more on that, Legoshi simply told me what he meant by 'conviction'.

"Before you came into the room, Louis asked what was my conviction, I didn't know what he meant by that, but after what had happened tonight, I think I have an idea of what it is." 

Hearing that come from Legoshi felt really good, it showed that there was a change from what used to be a shy wolf to an actual wolf. 

Wait, Louis said that? Great, now my head is hurting once more, I need a long nap after this.

"Okay Louis, so the doctors left us with some good news and bad news. Which do you want to hear first?" I asked. 

"Give me the bad news." 

"Well, the bad news is you won't be playing Adler tomorrow, which was expected." Louis looked as if he had an awful taste in his mouth. 

"So what's the good news?" he asked. 

"The good news is that your foot should be back to normal by the end of this month! Looks like all that medical treatment I've done to that foot paid off in the long run!"

I smile cheekily. 

Though good news to him, it was more over good news to myself. Hey, I need some credit of validation... 

"So, what should we do about Adler tomorrow?" I asked.

Louis sat there, thinking of the best solution to approach. 

"Well, Bill seems to know most of the lines and staging, so I guess he should be able to take my place. Now all we need is someone to take over Bill's previous role." Louis' eyes turn to Legoshi as the wolf tried leaving the room. Legoshi made that face, the kind of face on makes when caught.

Shit. 

"Hey Legoshi, cheer up will you? All you have to do is swing that sword around, fall down, then pretend to get stabbed! It's not that hard!" Bill was practically taunting Legoshi at this point. 

I wasn't able to pay attention to what was happening on the stage, for Louis had asked me to take over the paper work while he was in the ER recovering. I was able to see the insane sparring match between Bill and Legoshi. Both of them looked as if they were actually fighting! Wait, no, they were actually fighting. Eh, nothing new. As the play drew closer and closer, we received an unexpected visit from Louis.

"Louis, you're not supposed to be here! You should be resting!" I scolded. 

"Relax, I'm using my crutches, I'll be fine." he said that as if he hadn't fainted just last night. 

He wanted to see how Bill was handling this, Adler, role. As we got to the room, Bill gave off this vibe that creeped out the both of us.

"So, you came here to watch me spiral and fall." Bill looked into mirror, then back to us. "Just kidding." 

To be honest, I think Bill has what it takes to be Adler, he already had all the lines and staging down, what could go wrong?

As we left Bill with the other actors, Louis asked if we could go wait on the side of the stage so that we can watch the play. Of course I said yes, it would be rude to say no to a handicapped buck. 

"Hey, do you think Legoshi will be okay out there?" I asked Louis. The buck tilted his head. 

"What do you mean? Of course he'll be fine. You've been worrying about this wolf for so long now, what gives?" he smirked as he called me out, but I did have a reason to worry.

Ever since Legoshi came back from the bathroom, he's been silent... too silent... even for him. The idea slipped from my mind as the curtains flew open. We heard the audience cheer for Adler, but it was quickly killed off when Bill started his lines. He was shaking. 

"So, the curse of Adler is what possessed him this night." said Louis.

Though that's an awful way to put it, he wasn't wrong. Playing Adler is basically life or death, pretty ironic for the play's setting, but still. Louis and I were the only two people who received positive feedback from playing Adler, yet it was very difficult for me when I played as Adler. I remember improvising half of the fight I had with Tao back in my first-year of drama club. It was difficult.

The audience was losing interest in the show. We even heard a group of girls saying that its not Louis playing Adler, which struck Louis in the chest. So that's why he did what he did that night. Soon, it was Legoshi's call on stage, but his aura seemed off.

Without warning, Legoshi sprinted up and punch Bill right in the face, wiping off both the mask and his hat. A small vial that was colored red rolled over to the feet of Louis when Legoshi began beating away. 

"No, this is-" 

"Blood." Louis and I looked at each other when we found out what made Bill so shaky. 

As soon as we picked up the vile, we noticed that the audience was loving the 'performance', at least I did. Louis on the other hand was about to blow up from the rage he had on Bill. I looked at Legoshi beating up the tiger, was this because of that? Did he know about the vial of blood?

Bill then caught Legoshi's fist. Shocked, Legoshi didn't move or say anything. Bill got up from the stage, and hugged Legoshi, back facing the audience. If I had learned anything from being an actor, you are to never show your back to the audience. What happened next shocked me. Bill whispered into Legoshi's ear, causing the wolf to tear up. It was visible from where I was that he was in pain. I then saw something red on stage, then I saw more of it coming from the two. 

No....

Bill had ripped into Legoshi's back, blood dripping onto the stage. 

"That's it, I'm going up there." Louis said. 

As soon as I turned around to stop him, Louis already stopped himself. He wasn't able to stand at all without the aid of his crutch. 

"I'll do it." I told Louis, as I grabbed the sword Louis prompted to use.

Bill was about to thrust his sword into the defenseless wolf, but I was faster. I reflected the sword from Bill's hand, kneeling in front of Legoshi. 

"You have caused enough harm in the land of the dead. How about you try your wits with me impostor!" I look to the Adler skull that remained on the floor, picking it up and placing it over my head. "The blood on your hands shows how impure you are, for only the Adler possess the ability to take one's soul. If it is blood you so desire, why not try your hand on mine instead!" 

Bill looked petrified, of course he did, he was caught red handed. 

"Now leave! I have no time for impudence like you!" I ordered, and like that, he was gone.

A single spotlight shined down on both Legoshi and I. "Now with you, my friend. Disappear into the night along with the morning dew. As for Adler, I will continue to roam until debt is due." I reach my hand out for Legoshi's. "It's okay, I'm here now." I told him as I was smiling through the mask. 

As he held my hand, I lift him up with ease. I look to the floor where Legoshi had been on, seeing a line of blood printed onto the stage.

I'm glad that I was able to stop them before things got any worse.