19. Space

10K seems different

10K seems different. We don't seem in sync as we used to be. Anything red, he stops and stares as if that'll bring her back. I try to remain unbothered but inside it hurts that maybe I'm not the one for him.

Murphy throws Lucy through the air towards me and I catch her expertly, cradling her to myself, using my free hand to cut at the Z's coming towards me.

"You look good with a baby," Cal says, winking at me and looking over at 10K.

"We have condoms for a reason!" I yell back, earning odd looks from the rest of the group. "Not talking about you Murphy!"

We take out the remaining undead and I return my cousin to her father. "You're daddy's precious angel, aren't you," he coos, taking the bundle from my arms. I roll my eyes at the display of affection.

We trek further into the forest, taking a breather. I sit down, resting my eyes. The stress of the apocalypse is starting to get to me.

"You okay?" Vasquez asks, sitting down near me.

"Just peachy, comrade."

"I noticed you and lover boy seem to be off lately." When I turn around to glare at him, he holds his hands up in surrender. "Not that it's any of my business."

Sighing, I relax. "Since the whole thing with Dr. Teller and that Red girl, it's like we aren't on the same page anymore. I don't know how to fix it."

Vasquez rests a hand on my shoulder, squeezing lightly. "You'll figure it out. You're incredibly tough."

"Thank you."

The others join us, except for Murphy, Cassandra and Lucy, as well as 10K. Doc is the first to speak up. "Is anyone worried about that baby?"

Warren shrugs. "I can't tell if I should be scared for it or of it. You see how she attracts Z's?"

Vasquez is the next to chime in. "That baby, and I use that word loosely, is going to get us all killed."

"Bro, she's a baby. Relax," Addy defends.

"Yeah, a baby sprung from Murphy's loins," Doc adds in.

"She could be humanity's only hope, ya know if one of us finally snaps and breaks Murphy's neck," I add, the last part intended sarcastically only somewhat.

"Precisely," Warren says, looking at me. "She could grow up to be the savior of the human race or the queen of destruction. We need to find out which and do what we need to do." She walks away, the others spreading out as well.

"I'm going to find 10K," I tell Trish and Cal, heading to a watering hole I saw nearby. He must be fishing. As predicted, I find him walking back with fish hanging from a line. He holds his hand up to shush me, pointing through the trees at Vasquez.