18. Red is My Least Favorite Color

"Hey, guys, look what I found," 10K says, coming over the hill with a small child in tow

"Why are you holding a kid by the ear?"

"Shush, both of you. Puppies and kittens," Warren says, catching our attention forward. There's a whole hoard of Z's in front of us.

"Aww fuck, let's do this!" I say, taking out my ax.

"There's a child present!" Trish admonishes me.

"Then fuck yeah mom!" Cal adds, running forward into the fray.

It takes a bit but together we take out the hoard, congregating back together to clean our weapons.

"Get away from him," 10K says when Cassandra gets too close to the kid he found.

"Was anybody with him?" Warren asks.

"He said something about a doctor."

"The Man is gonna kill them! He's going to kill them!" He grabs onto 10K's clothes in desperation. "You kill man!"

"Oh no, we are on a mission," Murphy says, sitting down. "Scram kid."

"Caw."

I cover a snicker in my hand as Warren tells Murphy to go get Lucy some water. "Doc, can you get some for this one too?" He rushes to do so.

"Where's your mama and papa?"

"Just sister."

"Where are they?"

"He'll kill them if the doctor doesn't talk to them!"

"I vote we help this kid," 10K says, looking at me for support.

I shrug. "Fine, me too."

"As much as it pains me to say it, Blue Face is right. We are on a mission. Okay, we don't know what we'd be walking into. And we can't take a chance like that."

In the next moment, 10K's gun is gone and the little kid is running with it. We both run after him, being knocked onto our backs by something in bright red.

"If you move as much as a twitch, brains will be the last thing you think about."

"We're good, I swear. I just want my gun back. That little thief over there stole my gun. Ask him. That's mine."

"That his gun?"

"Caw."

I kick her wooden paddle out of her hand, pushing her to the ground. Her leg comes around, trying to loosen my foothold but I just drop to my knee, holding her further to the ground. Sports did count for something in the apocalypse.

What I didn't count on was the little feral crow boy jumping on me from behind. "Get off of her!" This gives her the leverage needed to punch me in the neck. 10K wrestles with her next and I grab the boy off of him, tossing him across the field as the rest of our group restrains Little Red Riding Hood.