9. Jealousy

I'm on high alert as we go through the warehouse

I'm on high alert as we go through the warehouse. It's dark, and wet, and I hear things scurrying that probably aren't as small as rats. To make things even worse, 10K seems more focused on protecting Cassandra and Doc that the thought has crossed my mind that he'll use me as a shield out of spite.

A flashlight shines up the stairwell next to us, putting everyone on high alert at the intruders. We wait with our weapons aimed.

"Hold it right there!" Warren calls out, and the duo turns to us.

"Oh, it's the damn wonder twins," Murphy says when their flashlight blinds him. Warren pulls Addy into a hug, the rest following suit. The redhead comes over to me, and I shy away when her arms open.

"You're getting a hug from me, Rebecca!" she says, smashing me against her body.

"Bex is actually short for Bexley, by the way." I pat her back awkwardly, attempting to get out of her grip.

"So Citizen Z send you guys?" Mack asks Warren.

"He says there's a guy Chester that can help us out," Cassandra clarifies and I can't help but glare at her. Even if she's not intentionally doing it, she's replacing me as 10K's friend.

"Well he should be right down there," our leader says, pointing over her shoulder. "Let's hit it."

I walk behind Cassandra and 10K as he helps her hobble along due to an infection. Not sure I got that much attention when I was infected, but I'm not as helpless as her.

Warren knocks on a door, opening it with a "Hello!" Inside is a man with a bullet hole in his temple.

"He kinda looks like Doc," I observe, staring at the older dead man. Addy comes beside me, swinging her bat repeatedly in the man's skull. "What the fuck are you doing!?" I pull her back, looking over my shoulder as the group looks on without concern. "He already mercied himself. He wouldn't have turned!"

"Somebody got up on the wrong side of the apocalypse," my uncle mutters and I shoot him a glare.

Addy stares towards the floor, her chest heaving from the energy she exerted. I overhear Mack saying that she's working shit out. Great. More group drama.

"Chester? Do you have my group yet?" We hear Citizen Z's voice come over a mic from another room. "Warren! Addy, it's...hey up here! It's your old pal, Citizen Z!" We see a skinny man on a monitor, smiling and waving wildly at us. "Oh, it's everyone! Hi, everyone, hi!" He waves again.

He leans back, the smile still on his face. "Addy, looking gorgeous as always." The redhead giggles to herself, while Mack looks at Z stoically. "Oh hey, uh, you must be Mack. I thought you'd be taller."

"I thought you'd be old enough to shave," he retorts, and I snort to myself at the insult.

Citizen Z moves on, not addressing the insult. "Hey, squeeze in Murphy, so I can see you." The man pushes me aside to be seen on the camera. Z let out a small gasp at his appearance, quickly covering it with a fake smile. "Yeah, looking good sir. So guess what? I've got good news. California's back! They're alive and online...well most of them. But they're getting ready for you and the dream is alive. The mission is a go, thanks to yours truly. That's good news, right?"