23. In the Name of La Reina

We're cornered

We're cornered. Murphy puts his hands out to stop the onslaught but there are too many. Suddenly, there's an explosion and we're ambushed by a different enemy.

"Down here," Escorpion calls from a small opening towards the ground. "Hey, do you wanna die?" he asks when we hesitate. 10K pushes me forward and we head down first. It's nice to see that we don't have to ask permission from Warren when it comes to survival. He still looks out for me.

Immediately, Escorpion and his supporters have their guns pointed at us. We return the hostile gesture. "In the name of La Reina de los Muertos, Queen of the Zeros Cartel, I strongly suggest you lower your weapons."

"Like the Z Weed?" Murphy asks, still holding his head from attempting to save us earlier.

"That would be us."

"Then, I believe, you are looking for me. I am the Murphy."

"This man is our prisoner," Warren says, taking a step forward. "The CDC bounty is ours. If you try to take him away from us, I will blow his brains out." She turns her gun to Murphy's head. "El Murfi isn't worth a damn if he's dead. Now back off."

"Just want to make sure he's the real Murphy."

"You wanna see the scars?"

"I do."

"Not until you lower your weapons," Warren says.

"Put them down," Escorpion says to his men. After they do, Murphy undresses his upper body, almost flaunting it in front of us.

"Gross," I mutter to 10K. Murphy sends me a glare.

"It is true then." Escorpion decides. "If you lower your weapons, you have my word that you'll be safe. Look, if I wanted you dead, we would have left you out with the zombies, but La Reina is looking for you. She will give you the reward."

"Remember the mission," Murphy whispers to Warren, who nods and has us lower our guns.

"La Reina awaits your presence," Escorpion says when we make it back to what I assume is their headquarters. We follow him through a rose garden, halting. "Mi Reina," he calls out, and a woman in black turns around, her beady eyes staring deeply at each one of us.

"El Murfi. The savior. I have been looking for you for a very long time." She looks over towards Warren. "And you must be Roberta Warren. Excuse me, Lieutenant Roberta Warren."

"I am."

"You are the leader of this group? The one who brought me my Murphy?" Now that she's closer, I notice her eyebrows are actually tattoos. Actually, there are tattoos all over her face.

"Yes."

"Impressive." She gives a rose to Warren.

"Leave it to Santa Murte to work for a woman. I've sent dozens of my best men to search for El Murfi and bring him to me. And you're the only one to accomplish this." She moves onto Murphy. "And you are very slippery prey."