24. Sunday Evening Ride

I follow behind Doc and 10K down the stairs from the balcony

I follow behind Doc and 10K down the stairs from the balcony. We immediately hit the food table, and I moan into the first bite.

"Whoa, keep it PG, Bex," Doc says, eating from his own plate a lot more quietly than myself.

"I'm just glad it isn't expired beans. Let me live," I retort, downing my food before getting more.

"I think she likes you." Doc points over to a woman staring at 10K.

He blanches. "God, I hope not." The admission makes me happy inside.

"I don't know kid, sometimes the best women are the ones that terrify you."

10K looks over at me and I look away. Do I terrify him?

A movement catches my eye and I realize it's Vasquez, walking with a determined look on his face towards Escorpion. Slowly, his arm raises and he points his gun at the other man. It feels as though everything is happening in slow motion. One minute he has the gun towards Escorpion, the next Warren has it towards the ceiling as a shot fires off.

"Warren, my savior," La Reina says loudly, extending a hand in Warren's direction. Doc, 10K, Addy who just arrived next to us, and I look at each other, unsure really of what just happened.

"What do we do guys?" Addy asks when we walk over to the corner together.

"We gotta get out of here, like now," Doc says.

I nod. "It's not safe for any of us, especially after that stunt."

"Yeah, I would maybe know what to do if I knew what the hell was going on," Addy retorts, looking around the room suspiciously.

"Did Vasquez really try to kill that Queen Lady?" 10K asks, glancing at the woman in question.

"No," I start. "He clearly was aiming his gun at Escorpion."

"You saw?"

I nod. "Escorpion definitely painted it as though the Queen was in danger, not himself."

"Yeah, Vasquez wouldn't do that," Doc says with certainty.

"But why was Warren right there to stop him? I'm going to talk to her," Addy says.

"Wait, Addy." I stop her, pointing to Dr. Kurian that has just stepped out.

"Mi Reina," he says proudly. "My queen."

"Dr. Kurian, what is it?"

"I have it. I have the vaccine. The zombie plague is over. I have the cure."

"Tell me. What have you done?" she asks, staring him down.

"My queen, I present to you the H1Z1 vaccine." The doctor holds up a small vial. "This serum makes the zombie virus virtually impotent. Now a zombie bite will be like...nothing. Well, you may have to get a tetanus shot."