17. Pie Girl

We head South due to the fallout in the West

"What the hell is some woman doing out here by herself?" Warren asks, gaining all of our attention to the front. When we get closer, I realize I recognize this woman, very well in fact.

"It can't be. It's Serena?" Addy asks, looking between Trish, Cal, and me. We all nod. That's our Serena.

"No way. Murphy, is that your pie girl?"

"Pie girl?" Vasquez questions.

"Pie girl," 10K breathes with a dreamy expression. I smack him in the abdomen. He grunts, clearing his throat a few times.

"Boy, she is pregnant," Warren says, slowing down.

"Pregnant?" Murphy asks, turning a light shade of blue. We all know he's the father. "No, you're not stopping for her!"

"Own up to your actions, Murphy. Don't be a deadbeat dad."

Trish and Addy get out of the car, greeting her but her focus is clearly on someone else that's in our vehicle. She rushes over and opening the door, grinning.

"Is that really you?"

"Hey," Murphy mutters, slinking down even further.

"Daddy's here," Serena says, talking to her bump. I crawl over 10K and Cassandra to get a glimpse.

"Oh shit, it's part Murphy," I exclaim, giggling. Murphy is too shocked to even glare at me.

We continue on with Serena added to our group, stopping to let her vomit every few miles. It slowed us down but deep inside I was excited. This is my cousin. Also less reliance on Murphy to save humanity.

On one of our breaks, while everyone is peering over a map, someone starts shooting at us.

"Get down, Bex!" Addy yells, pushing me to the ground. A bullet grazes my ear, adding to the list of injuries I currently have.

"What do you see?" Warren asks 10K.

"Couple of guys in hunting caps. One seriously pissed-off-looking girl with...she's got my same gun," he says with a smirk.

"Now isn't the time for bonding, 10K," I mutter, pulling out my own rifle. Vasquez gave it to me from his arsenal of weapons, definitely an upgrade from my handgun.

Warren orders us to lay cover fire but Serena's screaming interrupts us. "You dirt-eating bastards! You filthy goat-loving whores! There is a baby on board here! A mother-loving baby!" she yells as she sprays bullets. Gotta say, in other circumstances, this would be entertaining to watch.

When the people don't return fire, we peer around to look at her in bewilderment.

"People are so rude."

Regardless, we look for a new car, not wanting to encounter hostile survivors that just don't like Escorpion's gang.

Lucky enough for us, the people shooting at us left behind a truck. Half of us pile into the back, hip to hip at this point with how we are growing. The truck pulls into a Mennonite driveway and we all pile out, happy to stretch our legs.