12. Never A Dull Day

"Bex behind you!" Cal screams at me, and I turn just in time to dodge the zombie bear

"Bex behind you!" Cal screams at me, and I turn just in time to dodge the zombie bear. Did they really think this wouldn't backfire?

"Who let the damn out of its shed?!" I scream at no one, trying to avoid the mouth and claws of the beast. A bolt goes into the forehead, but it doesn't stop it, only making the creature angrier. I look around, trying to find bait. Seeing a half-burnt sister, I swipe a chunk, holding it out to the bear to tease it before running towards the woods. I hear it following behind and when I'm deep enough inside, I toss the bait further. Like a brainless zombie-bear, it chases after it, and I don't waste time rushing back to the camp.

Addy is landing a quick blow to someone on the ground, and I'm surprised to see Mack behind her with an ATV. I knew he never went far from her, but still a shock to see a male. After Trisha and Cal shot Helen and a few of her bodyguards, they gave Mack the option to leave after his bullet healed. Even with the cult leader gone, they didn't want males in the group for comfort's sake. After seeing Tessa, I didn't blame them.

"How's your leg?"

"Fine," he replies, shifting his weight back and forth.

I hear another vehicle and turn to see Cal and Trisha pulling around with a four-wheeler of their own. The roar of the bear echoes throughout the smoldering camp.

"Bear?" Mack asks and Addy nods. He turns, heading back to his vehicle. "Are you coming or not?" She looks back towards the place that had become her safe haven before heading toward him.

"We'll follow you guys," Trisha says to Mack and he gives a nod of confirmation. I get on the back of their four-wheeler since Mack's is full of bags.

We stop at a cell tower to collect ourselves. It's been a few weeks since the nukes had fallen, and we had done well surviving together.

Addy works on connecting with someone, probably Citizen Z, while I focus on replenishing my fluids. Cal helps Mack with getting the power to the tower on and Trisha keeps watch.

"Just that same weird numbers station again. You know that's got to be some sort of code," Addy tells us, looking troubled at the walkie-talkie.

"Wonder who needs to keep a secret anymore," Mack calls back. He has a point. Spanish comes over the radio next, and mine is too rusty for anything to make sense, the only word to make out being 'Murphy'. That can't be good. She turns to the next station, this one in some kind of Eastern language, also mentioning Murphy.

"Do you think that means he's still alive?" Addy asks.

Mack sighs, staring off into the distance. "Question is, do we really care if he's still alive?"

"Not me," I say, hopping off the back of the pickup we had been lounging on. "He's gotten us into so much shit."

"Well, if you don't care if he's still alive, why are we trying to contact Warren and the others?"