3. Heart to Heart

10k grabs my hand

10k grabs my hand. "Follow me."

We go inside a rundown building, looking for ammo for 10k's slingshot. Once we find a few objects that seem like they would work, we target practice. Meanwhile, we keep an eye on Murphy and Doc.

Doc climbs out of the car, stabbing different Zs with a crowbar. It seems to be going well for him, as well as us before he encounters a zombie with a yellow hat. A construction hard hat.

10k lifts up his gun, pointing it at the zombie. "One thousand fifty-eight." Another shot goes off. "One thousand fifty-nine." Then a third one is down.

"One thousand sixty! Nice shot, kid!" Doc yells up to us. 10k blushes slightly before re-aiming. I pat him on the back. This earns me a half-smile as I crouch beside him.

A squeal of tires echoes around us as the car drives away, without Doc.

"Come on," I tell Killer, jumping up. We both jog at a fairly fast pace to where Murphy had left. Upon arriving, I see Murphy and Charles walking away from a now totaled vehicle. A zombie drenched in gasoline heads over to the crash scene.

"Killer, shoot." My words are redundant as 10k is already putting a ball of metal through the zombie's head. Nice.

"Let's go! That truck is going to blow at any second!" I yell to 10k, urging the both of us to sprint away. We meet up with the rest of the group as the truck explodes.

"Did we get the gas?" Murphy asks. Warren shakes her head in response.

"Well, then who screwed that up?"

"Would you like me to get you a mirror?" I reply.

"One thousand and seventy-five," 10K interjects, putting away his slingshot.

Mack and Charles help Roberta jump start a truck, which shockingly has the Liberty Bell on the bed. Actually, nothing is shocking anymore. I mean, it's the damn apocalypse.

The truck comes to life and a few guys get in it, our pickup following close behind. The people left in my vehicle are 10K, Doc, and this sketchy chick, Cassandra and because 10K and Doc are buddies, I'm left in the back with her whining.

Closing my eyes, I lean against the window, trying to tune her out. It works until we hit a particularly nasty bump. Ahead, the Liberty Bell flies off the truck as it tailspins. A few zombies are taken out by the large statue.

"Hell yeah! I'd pay money to see that again!" Doc shouts out the driver window. Charles just runs a hand through his hair in response.

"Axle's broke," Roberta tells everyone while Charles ushers the remaining people into our truck. Just great.

I sigh in annoyance, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. 10K gives me a disapproving glare, which I respond to by exhaling smoke in his direction.

We stop after a while to eat if you can call it that. It was just a twinkie. Those little cakes of goodness really did hold up well in the apocalypse.

"Alright, let's split up," Charles says. "Doc, you take 10k and Cassandra. Murphy will come with Warren and me, and Bex, you'll go with Mack and Addy." Oh joy, I love third-wheeling with couples.

We stumble upon a cop car.

"I want that radio," Addy says, going to the vehicle.

"What about Officer Zombie there?" Mack points out.

"Do you remember that time in Peak's Grove-"

"Oh for the love of God, someone just kill the damn zombie," I groan, going for the handle.

Addy glares at me but hops on the roof of the car anyways. The zombie is killed the second it comes out by her spiked bat. Thanks for taking my kill.

"Alright, let's see if that radio works."

"I'm going to pike some locals," Mack tells us, walking away.

Addy gets to work on the radio. "So what's up with you and 10k?" she asks, not looking up from the electronics.

"Nothing. I picked him up after he had killed his father."

"Mercied," she corrected me.

"You can doll it up any way you want it," I tell her, looking down at my boots and leaning again the car. "Bottom line is that you are killing people. It's like putting down a rabid dog. You may think you're putting it out of its misery, but the creature is still alive, just sick."

Addy gives me a sad look. "You try to convince everyone that you're tough as nails and can't roll with any group, but you have humanity."

I let out a scoff. "I could kill you all in your sleep. I already killed my mother, you know." My eyes smart with tears, and I quickly blink them away, hoping she hasn't noticed them.

"You should let someone in, Bex. Even if it's just 10k. You can't carry the burden of the apocalypse all by yourself."

"Why? We will all die eventually." I step away from the car, leaning down into the driver's side. "Is it ready yet?"

Static fills the car, as if on cue. Addy grins at me, almost as a taunt. I stick my tongue back immaturely. "This is Addison Carver calling for Delta X-Ray Delta calling for Citizen Z."

After a moment, a male voice comes over the radio. "This is Citizen Z. I'm picking you up loud and clear."

I hear something crunch behind me, clearly not from the radio. "What the—"

My world goes black.

Edited: 6/2022