22. Netflix and Chill

My ceiling was therapeutic to stare at

It was a Saturday, I had nothing to do, I was worried, and I also felt bad. And the only thing that could tolerate having me around was my room. So I stared at my ceiling all day, only getting up to get snacks from the pantry and pee.

The main reason I was restless was Axel. Between last night and this morning, I'd thought about him so much that I'd started to feel bad about the way I acted. Couldn't I have just cooled it for a second and talked to him like a normal person? I saw the look on his face as he walked out of Sprinkles, and I knew he sensed something was wrong.

What if he thought I didn't want to speak to him even though that was the truth?

After going downstairs for my third snack—crackers and a glass of orange juice—I figured I couldn't live with this feeling any longer; I wanted to have my peace back and sleep well at night, and I wanted some weight to leave my shoulders.

So when I got back to my room, I picked up my phone and called him. I imagined him not picking up, because lately everyone had been ignoring my calls, but at the same time, I tried to stay positive.

"Hey," I heard after a few rings, and goosebumps rose on my arms immediately my mind registered his voice.

"H—hi, Axel," I stuttered, after which I drew in a deep breath and told myself to be calm.

"What's up? I wasn't expecting your call."

"Yeah, well." I shrugged, even though he couldn't see me. "I just wanted to ask if you're free to hang out."

There was silence for a while before he asked, surprised, "Now?"

"Y . . . eah. Of course."

I heard him laugh. "Are you sure, Kimie?"

"Hundred percent," I replied, but, really, I was only about forty-nine percent sure.

"Okay. Um, I'll pick you up in ten?"

"Sure," I responded quickly—a little too quickly.

If I wanted to get to the bottom of this, then I had to talk to him. I was unsure of how I'd bring the topic up, but I figured I'd find a way before the day was over. If I knew even a little about Axel, then I knew he'd talk to me. It would be an uncomfortable topic, nothing to deny there, but I was willing to take the risk.

I wore a cute, sleeveless mauve-colored dress, put on white canvas shoes, then tied my hair up in a high ponytail after standing in front of my full-length mirror for two minutes, debating on what to wear.

When I got downstairs, everywhere was quiet, a stark contrast to the way the house was when my mom was still alive. You'd either hear the professional sound of a knife against a chopping board from the kitchen, or Kairi's evening workout music from upstairs.