19. Wowzers

There were no words available for me to describe how I felt when I saw my sister's eyes fill with intense hatred for the boy I was sure I'd been in love with for two years

There were no words available for me to describe how I felt when I saw my sister's eyes fill with intense hatred for the boy I was sure I'd been in love with for two years. No words.

At first, I just stood there, watching her, but when she moved, approaching us, my brain struggled to come up with something to do or say.

"What the heck is he doing here?" she growled, coming to a stop in front of me, her eyes straying to him and shooting poison.

"He came to see me." I don't know why I said that, but I did.

Kairi wasn't happy to hear that, and I saw her fists tighten. "Tell him to leave," she ordered, and I felt my eyes widen in surprise. "Kimie, I said, tell him to leave," she repeated through gritted teeth after a few seconds passed, but I made no attempt to do as she said.

"What is wrong with you, Kairi?" I looked at her, lowering my voice so, hopefully, only her could hear me, but she wasn't in the mood to be quiet.

"He's my problem," she gestured angrily to Axel, "and you know that. Just tell him to leave."

Kairi let Dray stay. She also let Macy stay. Worst of all, she wanted to talk to Piper before she was killed. So why couldn't she stand Axel? Why was she staring at him with pure hatred? Thinking about it made me mad.

"It's okay," Axel finally said, and I turned to him. "I'll go."

"Axel," I started, but he cut me off with a forced smile.

"It's okay. I'll see you around." He took his phone from me, then glanced at my sister, who folded her arms over her chest and looked away in response, her jaw moving as she gritted her teeth. "Bye."

Neither of us said anything to him, me too annoyed and Kairi too angry, and he walked past us, leaving us in silence. I waited until I was sure he couldn't hear us before turning to her.

"Okay, what was that?" I don't think I'd ever been that annoyed at my sister.

"You're not dating him, are you?" was her quick reply.

"What if I am?! What are you gonna do about it?"

"You don't know what you're getting yourself into, Kimie."

"I can't believe you sent him away!" I shouted, not able to hold it in anymore. "He came to see me and not you, so what was your problem?"

Kairi stared at me for a while with her chest visibly rising and falling, then, without saying anything, she turned back in the direction of the back door.

I couldn't believe she was going to walk out on me, and I was so mad that I couldn't even think straight, so I rushed to catch up with her, then stopped her by pulling her hand back.

"Look, I'm not talking to you about him, okay?" she said first, stopping my sentence at the back of my tongue. There were tears in her eyes, and normally I'd feel bad, but today, I was overwhelmed by my emotions—so overwhelmed that I didn't care. "You're obviously not going to listen to anything I say right now, so what's the use?"