44. Still in the Dark

Whoever it was didn't want Skye going to the police

My text history with West didn't raise any flags. But one particular conversation we had did.

I didn't want to believe he had anything to do with Skye's assault, but that crowbar comment he made wasn't letting me be. He insinuated that he felt good when he hit things, so did that mean he could . . .

No. I refused to let my mind go that far. Even though he only agreed to help me because of his brother. Even though he was working for Macy behind my back.

But I still couldn't fall asleep. No matter how hard I tried to convince myself that this—blaming him—was just my mind's way of coping.

Sometime around eleven, my phone vibrated next to my digital clock on my bedside table, and without wondering who could be texting me this late, I read the preview lighting up the screen.

I get out of the hospital MondaY morning and would . . .

I sat up when I saw that it was from Axel, then opened the text.

I get out of the hospital MondaY morning and would like tO see a particular beaUtiful face. In case you were wondering who I'm talking about, read the capitalized letters together. They're not typos ;)

I lay back, then wondered briefly if I should reply. Then I was typing.

That was pretty smart. I'll see you tomorrow :)
P.S. Don't ask why I'm awake so late. Please.

He replied a few minutes after I hit Send.

Great! And I won't ask, don't worry. Wish I was awake the day you came.

I saw the ellipsis appear a few seconds after his reply came, but then it went away, like he changed his mind about what he was typing, so I typed:

I'm actually kinda glad you weren't. It would've been awkward if you were.

Because you wouldn't have been able to kiss me? ;)

I felt my face go scarlet instantly.

How'd you know about that??

I added I'm so mortified, but backspaced it and sent the first part of the text alone, instead.

I was asleep, Kim. Not dead. I felt it and saw you before you walked out.

Turning my phone over, I shut my eyes. I didn't want to do this. Kairi was back in the picture now, and texting Axel so late felt odd, felt intimate. It felt like a betrayal. Mostly because I was reading too much into the winky faces he was sending me. Axel loved my sister, and my sister loved him. I couldn't be feeling this way. My emotions were all over the place at the moment, and I needed to take a break for a few hours.

I'll see you tomorrow, I sent to Axel, not waiting to see if he read it before keeping the phone back on my bedside table. I turned my back to it when I heard it vibrate, and focused on my window. Then I was thinking about West and Tybalt again, and then I was crying.