31. Keep in Touch

The librarian glared at me as I loudly made my way to the door and pushed it open, but I ignored her, my focus on something she'd never understand

I couldn't believe it.

When I met Jamie Accetta a few weeks into freshman year, I thought he was the most clueless person I'd ever had the pleasure of meeting. He was cute in an awkward way, doing his best to avoid standing too close to people. But now? He had gotten rid of the things that made him Jamie, that made up his personality, even going as far as hacking my laptop and using my blog.

I didn't even have the time to feel shocked, seeing red immediately his name was out of West's mouth.

I'd just stepped out the door when someone pulled me into them and directed me to the side. My back was pressed against their chest, and the familiar beating of the heart inside it relaxed me a little. West turned me to face him, flinching immediately, like I had flames for eyes. Maybe I did.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked with a low voice, his disbelief not hidden.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm going to talk to him." I made to walk away, but he stepped in front of me.

"No, you're not."

I twisted my expression until I was sure I was glaring at him. "Get out of my way."

"Not until I make you understand that what you're about to do isn't the smartest thing."

"Why not? That guy's a snake! He tricked me."

West took a step closer to me, caging me between him and the wall behind me. "That's why you should keep this information between us. Act like you're clueless, and maybe you could even get some stuff from him."

"I can't stand him, so erase my cluelessness from that list."

"Can you at least not talk to him right now? Trust me, you'll thank me later."

I didn't say anything, trying to regulate my breathing and recover from the heat attempting to consume me whole. I wasn't sure if the warmth was from West or if it generated from inside me, but it was overwhelming, and I suddenly found it hard to breathe.

That was when it really hit me. Jamie knew I was behind the new Smooches, and he'd put my name on the list of murder suspects. Whether that was on purpose or not, I wasn't sure.

 Whether that was on purpose or not, I wasn't sure