01. Read the Fine Manual

If you'd told me a month ago, or even last week, that I'd stop dreading the end-of-period bell, I probably wouldn't have believed you

If you'd told me a month ago, or even last week, that I'd stop dreading the end-of-period bell, I probably wouldn't have believed you. That shrill, haunting ring had needled its way under my skin and become my greatest fear by an act of unknown but familiar magic. I knew that once I stepped out of class, reality would immediately step into my life. I'd see all the faces I hated (and love-hated), all the smiles I wanted to kill, all the attention I wanted to own, and all the futures I wanted to crush, but I wouldn't be able to do anything.

I was royally helpless.

But desires get fulfilled with time, no matter how long it takes, and as I listened to the murmurs of speculation and disbelief floating through the hallways after first period that bright Monday morning, I knew I had done it. And I'd done it right. One Band-Aid had been ripped off, and even though it hurt, the reward wasn't bad.

"Did you see the Smooches post?"

"I can't believe it's back. We haven't heard from Kairi in a long time. I heard she's no longer on social media."

"Obviously she is. I'm speechless about Macy An, though."

"Macy does drugs?"

"Oh my God! She indirectly killed someone."

All those sentences followed me all the way to my locker, and I found it hard suppressing the smile threatening to tear my face in half. I hated Ridgerock High with everything in me, but today I was feeling elated because I had done it. I had let out Macy An's secret.

But before I could fully roll in this feeling, a scream tore down the hallway. And it was a scream I had been waiting to hear for half a year. In it was shock, confusion, and that subtle hint of fear—so subtle that it was obvious the owner was trying to hide it. A perfect concoction.

"I said no!" Macy An's voice was frustrated, high-pitched and loud—everything I wanted it to be. "I can't believe you just said that to me!"

"Can we just talk in private. Please? You're drawing too much attention." The boy's voice was low, but everyone had fallen quiet, so I could hear him clearly.

Macy stared at him incredulously for a few seconds, before angrily turning on her heel and approaching us.

"Macy," Axel Denvers called behind her, hot on her trail. Consequently, my blood boiled.

Macy's shoes slapped against the floor as she hurried away from him, and he quickened his pace when he saw that she wasn't submitting. Her head was held up high, chin up, eyes focused ahead, not meeting with any of ours, but she lacked her usual poise.

Unfortunately for me, my locker was placed right next to the turning that lead to the hallway where most of the science classes were held, and as Macy sped past me, I caught a whiff of her familiar perfume, barely getting the chance to recover from the nostalgia before Axel brushed by, his cool scent hitting me with a wave of something I was trying to keep under control.