23. Hangin'

Axel was a silent watcher

Axel was a silent watcher. I usually wasn't—I'd express my thoughts before I was halfway into a movie, like how I felt character A's temper was going to impact the plot, or how character B's romantic interest was going to turn out to be the wrong person for him—but today, I found myself keeping quiet, watching the boy next to me like he was in a display case.

I caught him every time he smiled at something one of the actors said (even though it was supposed to be a horror movie), and I could literally count the number of times he took a sip of his juice.

I knew I was being creepy, and I didn't know if he noticed how much I was staring at him, but it was the only thing I could do. My distracted mind was busy giving me silly excuses like you're just trying to think of a conversation starter, and it's totally normal for you to stare. Everyone does that. But I knew I was only trying to stall.

Call me stupid, but I wasn't sure I wanted the night to end, even though Axel hadn't looked at me in minutes. If I brought up my sister now, the mood would change, and I wouldn't be able to see where this goes.

Thirty minutes into the movie, though, I started to itch. Questions were burning at the back of my tongue, their flames licking at my throat and threatening to cut it open, and nervous sweat started to form on my neck and forehead. It was getting late, I had to talk to Axel, no matter how tempting it was to pretend this was a very normal hangout, and I knew that if I chickened out now, I'd lose my opportunity for good.

So, after giving myself a pep talk and running a plan around my head three times, I pulled my feet up so they were on the sofa, and inched closer to Axel.

Then I did the craziest thing I'd done that day—I placed my head on his shoulder and snuggled even closer, inhaling the smell of his deodorant.

I felt him move a little, but he didn't say anything about my new position.

Just react, Axel. Just react.

He smelled fresh, sweet but not girly, and it would've been so easy for me to just give up on the plan and enjoy this moment, but I had to stay focused.

Control is key.

Axel moved so he was sitting straighter, then released a breath that almost sounded nervous before asking, "What's on your mind?" His voice was gentle, the opposite of the movie playing.

I reached up to tuck away a rogue strand of hair that had managed to get out of my ponytail, and when I put my hand down, it landed in his on the sofa. I held my breath, wondering when his hand got there, waiting for his fingers to move, but nothing happened. My hand just remained in his warm one, tingling weirdly.

I gently pulled my hand away, then lifted my head from his shoulder so I could look at him as I spoke. Surprisingly, his eyes were already on me. "I've been thinking," I replied, killing the moment.