16. In Real Life

"I absolutely cannot believe I came here," a redhead said as she stumbled out of the house with her friend following closely behind her as if trying not to lose her

"I absolutely cannot believe I came here," a redhead said as she stumbled out of the house with her friend following closely behind her as if trying not to lose her. She took a sip of the drink in the red cup in her hand, unable to stop laughing for some reason.

"I know, right?" her friend replied as they stopped a few feet away from the back door. "I mean, who throws a party after their so-called best friend is murdered?" She looked around the redhead so she could see the door. "And who looks that happy?"

The redhead took a step closer to her friend and lowered her voice as she said, "I know I'm not supposed to say this, but I think Libby and Milan know something they're not saying."

Next to me, West shifted so he was facing them, but he was quiet about it.

"Oh, come on, Autumn. Don't tell me you're believing that, too. Milan isn't even here, and, lately, I don't think she and Libby talk."

"Whatever," Autumn said, pulling her phone out of her pocket and giving her drink to her friend. "Hold this for me. Don't you think it's weird that Libby Cornwell of all people would throw a small party? The music isn't even loud. I mean, does it sound like a party in there?"

"Then you shouldn't have come," West mumbled beside me, and I threw him a look that told him to be quiet.

Autumn's face was lit up by her phone moments later, and she let out an ugh. "God, why doesn't this guy take a hint?" She showed her phone to her friend, who immediately looked into the screen like it was a pot of gold. Her face literally glowed with gold light.

I could see their hungry eyes, and I could hear the disappointment in their voices. These girls loved gossip, and I'd bet that was the only reason they were here.

Her friend laughed. "Just give him a chance, Autumn. He's cute."

"Excuse me, do you realize who we're talking about here? Please." She rolled her eyes, smiling instantly like something of great worth just occurred to her. "Speaking of cute people, Dion's totally single right now. I heard him and Milan arguing in the girl's bathroom earlier today over that Piper thing from Smooches."

It felt like my heart came out of my chest and immediately went back in when I heard the last part.

That Piper thing from Smooches.

Those five words rang in ny ears over and over and over, and the next sentences the girls said flew past me.

I felt a hand on mine, and I looked up to see West staring at me. "You okay?"

I nodded without thinking. "Yeah. I'm fine," I whispered, too aware of his skin against mine. His hand was warm and inviting, and I strangely wanted to hold it.

"You look a little pale. Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I repeated. "I'm sure."

He nodded in understanding. "Just let me know if you need to leave, okay?"