29. First Base

"Kimie, how do I look?" Eliza asked me after Kairi helped her with the zipper of her black dress, and I finally looked up from my phone

I'd made myself comfortable on my sister's bed, sitting cross-legged as I scrolled through Instagram, but my mind was far away from the room. I was only there physically. My dad and Eliza had a date today, and Eliza was freaking out for some reason. I didn't know what she was worrying about, considering the fact that she'd already accepted to marry him, but I pretended not to be bothered by her panicking.

She was standing in front of Kairi's full-length mirror, smoothing down the skirt of her dress. It stopped just a little above her knees, and the lace gave her a fairylike look. Eliza wasn't a big fan of makeup—she was extremely beautiful without it—so she'd only used a little mascara on her long lashes, and lipstick the color of her lips. Needless to say, Eliza Tsukakoshi looked gorgeous.

And my dad loved lace on females, so that was a plus.

"You look breathtaking," I told her, and Kairi beamed.

"See? I told you. You have nothing to worry about. Besides, my dad would love you even if you wore a sack tonight."

"It's just been a while since we went on a proper date, and I keep thinking about messing something up. Your dad talks about your mom quite a lot, and I'm scared I'm gonna say something bad or upsetting."

Kairi stepped in front of her, then placed her hands on her shoulders, an action that made her look too much like our mom. "You're all right. Say it with me."

I saw Eliza roll her eyes in the mirror before she repeated what Kairi said, personalizing it. "Fine, fine. I'm okay now. Get me my shoes."

I noticed that Eliza and Kairi were very close; it was like they were best friends. They had inside jokes and talked about stuff I wasn't even aware of, and even though I was happy that Kairi had someone she could open up to again, I still felt jealous. Though I wasn't sure it was normal for me to feel that way when I wasn't trying hard enough to know Eliza better.

It wasn't that I didn't like her, because I really did, but there was just something about her and my dad getting married that made me feel sad.

"You're going to therapy on your own today, right?" my future mom asked my sister as she went to get the pair of heels lying by her dresser.

"Yeah. I'm taking Kimie's car."

Kimie's car.

"I just hope I remember how to drive," she added with a chuckle, and Eliza released a small laugh.

"You're all right. Say it with me," she joked, accurately imitating Kairi's voice and causing us to laugh. "Kimie, you'll be fine on your own, right?"

Kairi was still laughing when she said, "Oh, Kim's gonna be more than fine. West's coming over."