The Market

*15 years later*

" Toby!" I yelled as he came running down the stairs. "Breakfast is ready"

I felt like I had wasted the past 15 years of my life. After Adolfo and I made our run from Fleet Street we settled in a small house. I don't remember much, who would, that was 15 years ago. I was raising the boy while being in a toxic relationship with Adolfo. It wasn't a fun nor easy life, but somehow I managed.

"Good morning Kate!" Toby said as he sat down.

"Good morning." I turned towards him and saw that stupid wig that Adolfo made him wear. "Take off that wig, no wigs at the eating table." I said to Toby

"Keep it on we have to hurry to make it to the market on time." Adolfo butted in.

" I don't appreciate you going against my parenting." I said coldly to Adolfo.

"I am just as much of a parent to him as you are." He said. I wanted to argue, but I feel we fight too much in front of the poor lad. We haven't had a good relationship for 15 years, you can't expect it to get better.

"I guess I'll come with you to the market. I need to buy some fruit." I said. I did enjoy my time alone, but Toby is always much happier when I come to the market with him. I grabbed my coin purse and Toby yanked my arm out of our home.

"Careful, love. I'm getting old. Me poor bones can't take much more of you yanking my arm everywhere." I said to Toby.

"Sorry, Kate. I'm just so excited you are coming to the market place. It's been like two months since you came with us." Toby said continuing to pull my arm. I could never really figure out why Toby was always so cheery when I came, but when I didn't come he seemed more frightful. He's an odd little boy.

"Hey, boy. Let go of her!" Adolfo yelled to Toby. I don't think he actually cared for me, I think he just enjoyed yelling at the boy.

"Sorry." Toby said sounding disappointed in himself.

"It's alright" I said to Toby.

"He's just a boy, you don't have to be so strict with him." I said to Adolfo.

"If you're not he'll never learn." He replied. I rolled my eyes and turned back to Toby who was now walking behind us.  "Keep up!" Adolfo yelled at him. "stupid boy" he said under his breath, like I couldn't hear him. I wanted to fight him, but I couldn't with Tobias standing right there.

We arrived at the Market with a few minute to spare before Toby tried to make some sales today. I looked over at the crowd and noticed a familiar face. If I wasn't mistaken it was Mrs. Lovett with some man. Not Albert which I found odd.

Toby began to sing his little heart out trying to sell Pirelli's Miracle Elixir. He turned to me and I gave him a wink and smile to tell him he's doing great.

"Pardon me ma'am what's that awful stench" I turned to where the man was who was throwing insults at the Elixir. It was the man who was with Mrs.Lovett. Mrs. Lovett joined him as they continued to insult the Elixir. I found it humorous as I could care less about how upset Adolfo was becoming. Finally Adolfo walked up on the stage. I laughed at how mad he was becoming over a few insults.

I couldn't help but notice that the man who was insulting Adolfo was quite handsome, Mrs.Lovett had clearly gotten lucky with him. The man introduced himself as Sweeney Todd of Fleet Street. Fleet Street. The place where all those things happened so many years ago. Mr. Todd challenged Adolfo to a contest. I knew the man was making a mistake, as Adolfo is the best barber in London. Mr.Todd asked Beadle Bamford to be the judge. To be honest I was laughing my ass off. Adolfo was being stupid. He'd lost his temper over a few insults about his product that was a sham anyway.

As the contest began, Toby stood and helped Adolfo as he sharpened his razors. It was clear Adolfo was going to win. Mr. Todd hadn't even begun. All of a sudden the Beadle's whistle blew, but Adolfo wasn't finished. Mr.Todd had been so quick and precise. Adolfo looked so ticked off over this silly little contest. He gave Mr.Todd the money, then turn quickly to slap Toby. I rushed up on the stage as Adolfo's harsh hand came across the boys face.

"What the hell you think you're doing to the poor lad!?!" I yelled at Adolfo. "Is this why he always wants me to come!? So you don't hit him!?" I was holding the lad protectively in my arms. It didn't help that Toby was the same height as me and Adolfo was towering over us.

"Get out of my way Kate!" He yelled "you're too soft on the boy! He won't turn out right if I'm not harsh on him!" He was trying to get me to let go of the boy.

"No. He is my son and you're not to lay another finger on him" As I said this I felt a sting on my cheek. He had just slapped me.

"I swear Adolfo, someday someone will have had enough of you, and they will slit your throat." My words didn't seem to bother him as he watched Mr.Todd and Mrs.Lovett walk away. I could feel Toby shaking as he rested his forehead on my shoulder.

"Are you alright, love?" I asked once Adolfo walked away.

"Yes Kate" he responded. He was still shaking and seemed so scared, but I felt him relax when I rubbed his back.

" I am so sorry. If I had known of this I would've stopped him sooner." Once I knew Adolfo was out of the hearing range I said, "we'll get out of here and away from him" I whispered so that even if there was someone around they wouldn't hear us. I knew he felt comfortable as he did not want to leave my hug.

" Get over here now!" Adolfo called for me and Tobias.

I looked into to Toby's soft eyes, " soon" I said as I walked with Toby to follow Adolfo back home, but that's not where it seemed we were going.