Get The Gin I Need a Break

Mrs. Lovett and I had gotten Mr. Todd down the stairs and propped him up in one of the booths.

"Go get the Gin. The boy must've taken it" Mrs.Lovett said. I walked into the room next to where Mr. Todd and Mrs. Lovett were, to find the boy passed out holding a bottle of gin. I only gave him small sips on special occasions, and he never said he liked it. So I found it odd to find him passed out having drunk almost a whole bottle. I carefully took it out of his hands and brought it back to Mrs. Lovett.

"Thank you" she said as she poured a glass for Mr. Todd. She gave me a look telling me to get out.

"I will get the boy and we will get out of your hair"

"No. I need some help and you don't have a home. That'd be cruel. Come back later and you two can live here, but for now get out" Mrs. Lovett said.

"Thank you Mrs. Lovett!" She looked back at me. "We will be going now" I walked into the room where the lad still laid. "Get up." I said quietly "come on Toby wake up" his eyes creaked open.

"What?" He asked annoyed and whiney.

"We are going on a walk. Now get up."

"Are they coming with us?" Toby asked referring to Mrs. Lovett and Mr. Todd.

"No. They have things to discuss and they need us out"

"What could they possibly need to talk about?" Toby asked still whining.

I had to come up with a lie and quickly, "Er, um. Adult... Matters" I said. I knew they were probably talking about Adolfo and I couldn't tell Toby that. Toby finally got up after I pulled his arm. We walked out of the shop and headed to the park.

We sat down on the grass under a tree. "What are we going to do now?" Toby asked.

"We'll figure it out"

"Kate, I'm scared" he said

"There's nothing to be afraid of, love." I gave him a hug. "I promised you a good life, I'm not giving up now. We've come so far"

"What are we going to do about not having money and a home?" He asked.

" I can get a job. It may not be much but we'll have a little money. And Mrs. Lovett said she'll let us stay at least for a while." I felt Toby slightly relax.

"Can I go play now?" I nodded and Toby ran off and begun to play with some boys he'd found. I looked up at the sky and tried to make pictures out of what I could see in the clouds. A dog, a bird, a chair, a pie, a razor. My eyelids slowly fell over my eyes as I drifted into slumber.

------------------------

"Kate! Kate!" I heard a small voice shouting. I opened my eyes. "It's dark"

"Come on. Let's try to get home before the sun is completely gone" I said. It was already pretty dark, but it shouldn't take us too long to get back.

We began walking when I suddenly heard a deep voice yell " Freeze!" I gasped and grabbed Toby so he was closer to me. "Who are you what are you doing here? This is private property ma'am" I turned to see a tall man.

"I'm trying to get home, we must've taken a wrong turn. We'll be on our way." I said as Toby was shaking in my arms. We began walking quickly away from the man. I had a bad feeling I had known him, but I didn't want to remember anyone from my past. Then I remembered. I knew that man. I knew who he was, but as long as he couldn't recognize me I would be safe. At least I thought.

"We ought to be more careful Toby" I said as we were rushing away.

We arrived back at the pie shop as Mrs. Lovett was cleaning the dishes. "Oh, you're home! I will show you to your rooms"