Chapter Four

"Your dads a total asshole." Demetri said to me  As I sat across from them drinking a strawberry milk shake at the diner me and my dad had met at.

"He's not a bad guy." Miguel said from next to him. Eli sat next to me stirring his vanilla shake around with his straw.

"Well I'm quiting." He said.

"You can't." Miguel interjected.

"Good." I said. The boys looked at me and I shrugged, "I just don't like see you boys get hurt."

"That's why I take this class so I don't get hurt." Miguel argued. I shrugged yet again and turned to Eli, "so what you doing eels?"

"I'm staying." He mumbled. I looked at the boy like he was crazy, "Eli you know I can't protect you in there right? I don't want to see you get hurt."

"Your not my mom I don't need you fighting my battles." He said quietly looking at the table.

My mouth was open as I Was abouy to say something but I just looked at my friends across the booth. "Fine. Next time your at school and kyler picks you up by the skin of your neck and pushed you up against the wall in the library and beats the fuck out of you, I won't stop it."  This made Eli shrink down alittle bit.

"Ouch sage, little harsh." Demetri said.

"I save your ass every day at school and I find out my efforts aren't appreciated." I continued. "You'd be dead without me. Lip."

"Sage." Miguel scolded.

"Bitch." Eli muttered under his breath reaching for the cherry on his milk shake. I grabbed it before him putting it in my mouth and then pushing the stem back in his whipped cream.

"Guys please. We're not eachothers enemy. Sage, Eli just wants to learn how to defend himself when your not around. And Eli, sage does so much more for you than any of us and you should be greatful to be able to go threw highschool with her." Miguel was always the neutral in every situation.

I sighed and took the cherry out of my drink and put it on top of his. "If you want to do karate. Then do it." I said.

"I'm sorry sage." He said lightly.

"I'm sorry too." I reached in my shirt and pulled my necklace he gave me for my birthday  out and held it up.

"Hey your wearing it." He smiled pulling out his own.

"Yeah. Thought I would retire it from my car and start wear it."

"Why don't we have matching necklaces? We're binary brothers." Demetri complained. "Hey! I went to that camp too with yall. Binary siblings." I glared pointing at Demetri.

"You went to a.. math camp?" Miguel asked.

"You tell anyone Miguel your dead." I mumbled taking a sip of my drink.

"Only special people get necklaces Demetri." Eli said. Under the table he nugged my leg, weither it was on purpose or not I didn't know but I grabbed it lightly interlocking my fingers around his.