Chapter Eleven

Life was good.

Besides from the fact I had a bloody cough, a sharp pain everytime I walked, and I couldnt walk to my car without having to stop and catch my breath, life was good.

All valley was tomorrow and I new I was either going to get out in the first round because of my shortness of breath, or I was going to dominate. Obviously the second.

I sat in the middle of the dojo mediating on the mat as much as I could with my dads roaring of laughter and commentary. I taught him how to watch movies on his laptop, bad idea.

My body was starting to hurt everywhere now. Sharp pains not just coming and going, but staying. I couldn't dismiss it as cramps anymore.

I opened up my eyes and stood up, the pain mixed with my dad yelling ruined the mood, so I slowly walked over to my dads office. He was watching some old 80s movie. "You know meditating isn't going to help you for tomorrow." He said not taking his eyes away form the screen but still found a way to glare at me.

"I also can't fight if I'm anxious can i?" I said pulling up a seat next to him, "and what movie is this?"

"Bad boys." He said holding out a bag of chips to me. "No thanks." I said.

"What's up with you and eating lately? Trying to loose weight?" He asked shaking the bag around to get the bigger chips.

"Just haven't been hungry." I said honestly, "hormones." I added quickly.

If you blame everything on girl problems, he dosnet ask follow up questions.
Dads face grimaced and he stop talking, only turning his attention back to the show.

My chest tighten up alittle making me close my eyes In pain as I tried to quietly groan in pain. My breath was caught in my throat sending a sense of panic into my system.

I stood up slowly and walked out of the room and out the back door where I leaned up against the wall. Sweat beaded down my forehead as I again tried to catch my breath.

"Sage?"

I mentally cursed my self as I heard Miguel's voice making me wish that this breath would just come already. I held up a finger to him signally him to wait as I then again tried to push down a breath.

"Sage what's wrong?" He asked putting his hand on my hunched over shoulder. I shook my head quickly and gasped for air that wouldn't go down.

"Shit Sage." He fumbled into his pocket amd pulled out his inhaler handing it to me. I took it quickly and inhaled the medicine.

The breath that was stuck went down and the chest compression went away. I gasped again lightly and successfully took down the breath before I slowly slid down the wall of the dojo.

"Sage what happened?" Miguel asked sitting down Infront of me.

"Just couldn't catch my breath." I said lightly, the words coming out softer than I meant them too. "I'm fine. Don't tell dad, he wouldn't let me compete tomorrow."

"Sage your mom... she died of lung cancer didnt she?" He asked.

"I'm fine Miguel." I said standing up abruptly.