Chapter Nine

"What are you doing?" My dad asked. I opened up one of my eyes and looked up at him, "meditating."

He rolled his eyes at me and I closed my eyes again and remained on the floor of the apartment.
"Your hairs back to blonde." He pointed out.

I hummed in response not opening up my eyes.

It had been 3 days since the events at the school. 3 days since I talked to hawk and 3 days since I decided to ignore my symptoms.

"Are you coming to practice today or are you still in your mood?" He asked.

"It's your fault he turned into an asshole." I said.

Dad scoffed at me and jiggled his keys in his hand, "come on let's go to the dojo."

"I'm done with karate."

"I know your upset because of the breakup but this is extreme." He said

"Karate is not what I want to spend my time doing for the time I have left on this earth." I sighed and opened up my eyes, my posture falling. "I'm going to move back in with my aunt."

Dad face fell and for a second it looked like he couldn't care any less about what we were talking about before. I felt guilty.

"W-what?" He said

I avoided his gaze but nodded, "I talked to My case worker and she told me my aunt was back in town. For good."

"Kid, you just can't leave." He said sitting down on the couch.

"Tia is moving us to reno." I said quietly.

My dad stood up off the couch upset, "what the hell do you mean Reno? No no I won't allow it."

I stood up angrily as well, " you were a dead beat for 16 years of my life, my aunts been their for me the whole time."

"Yeah well I'm trying to fix it." Dad said.

I grabbed my bag from the couch, "you'll get a call from CPS later today. Im going to school."

"Kid, come on." He huffed in annoyance as I walked out of the house.

I was so confused. I got into my car and drove to the one place where I knew I would find answers. I didn't know what was right, what was wrong, left, right. I didn't want to leave dad, or Eli, or Demetri but it seemed as getting away would be the best course of action.

"Hey mom." I said pulling a pack of cigarettes it of them vase on her grave. I picked out the zippo lighter from my pocket and lit it in between my teeth.

"I always thought I was ironic how I smoked at your grave." I said holding the cigarette with my two fingers. "I mean... you died of lung cancer for Christ sake." I laughed alittle shaking my head.

"When the doctor told me you got it more genetic than your smoking, honestly I was suprised." I squished the bud on the marble in the same black spot I always did, "I'm not anymore."

"You always wnated me to have a relationship wurst by dad and look, I got one. But what happens in about 3 years when I end up like you 6 feet under and instead of him just getting a "sorry you never got to connect with her" invitation to the funeral he's going To get a "sorry you lost your daughter."'