Chapter Thirteen

Sage shut her brain off completely for awhile.

She stared at the same blank spot on the wall, once in awhile grabbing the oxygen mask and putting it on her face for a better intake of the air she needed to breathe in.

The doctors were worried the flat lining had caused damaged to her brain. But it was nothing to do with that. Sage was just being sage, and sage did not want to be sage.

"Hey I brought you a water." Her dad said lightly as he walked into the room, putting the cup on the bed side table. Sage didn't even blink just remained mesmerized by the chipped paint covering the wall. The medicine she was currently on was not treating her brain right.

"Your friends asked to see you again... I told them later." Johnny mumbled sitting down in his chair.

Again, sage remained quiet. She moved her hand slowly to the oxygen mask, picked it up, and placed it over her nose and mouth, inhaling.

After she had woke up from the doctors sedating her from her tantrum of crying and yelling, she hadn't spoken a word.
This wasn't her plan.

Every single aspect of that plan, had fallen apart.

When sage first realized something might be wrong, she new she couldn't have people close to her. She dropped her old school friends and when the time came, dropped her boyfriend, best friend, and dad.

It was the whole reason she was moving to reno.

If she was going to die, it might as well be cheap, alone and not next to people who care about her.

Instead she laid in a hospital bed with an expensive bill racking up now that her dad knew what was wrong.
Johnny just wouldn't let her daughter parish even if it cost him every single penny he had in his pocket. Sure he was still in denial, thinking the results from the lab would come back negative and it was just a big miss understand. But the day he got the funeral invite from his late ex girlfriend kept playing over and over in his head.

Sage ultimately had the same fate.

"Do you want something on the TV?" Johnny asked sage.

For the first time sage reacted. She slowly put out her hand in the direction of the water cup, but singers of drinking iy, she slid it off the table in the trash can below it.

"Sage." Johnny said warningly.

Sage picked up the mask again and held it hovering over her face, slowly closing her eyes, "pull the plug or something." She said placing the make on her face.

"Sage your not dying, you just came out of surgery. Your fine." Dad said, more trying to make himself believe the 'your fine' part.

Sage shook her head pulling the mask up, "the sore pain in my chest started before mom died. The bloody cough for a year, those I didn't really think much of it intill the day at the library. The arm nunbniess is new I must add, and the yellow skin." She put the mask down for a second before pulling it up, "looking at the scar running down my chest I can tell it was surgery on both of the lungs. Cancer in both of the lungs means stage 4. 19% of stage 4 lung cancer patients live over a year. Year worth of chemo is, i don't know, around $45,000? This surgery and visit probably $17,000 , maybe more. Other drugs, other appointments. Every week your going-"
she stopped and stuffed the mask on her face, "-week your going to be up here paying money you don't have. In less than a year you're not even going to have money to pay for my funeral."