Chapter 7 Future Plans

In the two years that followed, Torrhen was very happy in Winterfell, well, except for his stepmother. There was nothing he could do that pleased her. Lady Catelyn even tried to keep him and Jon away from Robb at first, but when his father found out, they had a rather lengthy, rather loud discussion that his sons were not going to be kept apart no matter what. But for some reason, Lady Catelyn thought that Torrhen would hurt his half brother.

Of course, that was something that Torrhen would never do. He remembered perfectly well in his former life being bullied by Dudley, and Torrhen would never do that to any of his siblings, half-siblings or not. Torrhen also didn't want to show favoritism between his brothers. So, Torrhen made sure that he played with them equally when he wasn't studying or practicing his swordplay with Arthur.

That was also new. Now that Torrhen was five, the ghost of his uncle Arthur decided that it was time to train him, even though Arthur said he would wait for Torrhen to turn six. Torrhen would take his wooden sword replica of Dawn and sneak out to the Godswood, where Arthur would teach him. Arthur started slow for the five-year-old, but he quickly noticed that Torrhen was naturally gifted and fast on his feet. Arthur thought that, more than likely, Torrhen would be the Sword of the Morning. He even told Torrhen as much.

“Uncle, it isn't possible; I'm not a Dayne.”

*Torrhen, your mother was from House Dayne, and so are you even if you're being raised a Stark. My brother and sister would agree with me that you should be the next Sword of the Morning.* Arthur insisted.

“It isn't fair, Uncle, to take Dawn from Starfall.”

*Dawn will always return home, Torrhen, don't worry about that.*

Torrhen sighed; there was no point in arguing with his uncle. The ghost had it in his head, and there was no changing his mind. So, Torrhen and Arthur continued to train.

When Torrhen wasn't training with his uncle, he was with his Maester Luwin studying hard to be the best Heir of Winterfell, or he was with his father learning to be a proper lord. Torrhen would ask his father if he could sit with him while Ned dealt with the issues of the Northern Lords and the smallfolk. Ned thought it was a little odd that his five-name-day son was so concerned about being a proper lord. He finally asked Torrhen why he was so worried about his duties as a lord.

“Because, Papa, I don't want the other lords to think less of me because I was born in Dorne,” Torrhen told his father, “And I want you to be proud of me.”

Ned sighed and picked up Torrhen, “Torrhen, I could never be disappointed in you. You are my son, and I am proud of you, no matter what.”

“Thank you, Papa, but the lords-”

“The Lords love you, Torrhen; you have them all wrapped around your little finger. There is nothing they wouldn't do for you. You will be a fine lord, Torrhen, beloved by your men and the smallfolk alike. You don't have to be a lord at five name days old, Torrhen; you can be a child. Do you understand?”

Torrhen stared up at his father and nodded, “Aye, Papa, I understand. Do not rush to grow up.”

“Precisely,” Ned told his son.

After that, Torrhen didn't study as hard as he was; Maester Luwin said he was far more advanced in his studies anyway. So, Torrhen began to behave more like a child and play with his siblings more and his Uncle Benjen. The only thing that Torrhen kept up was his training with his Uncle Arthur; it was something that he enjoyed doing anyway.

Benjen, who had been watching Torrhen, had been suspicious of him for a while now. He knew that there was something different about his nephew other than his intelligence. He sometimes saw the little boy talking to someone that wasn't there. At first, he thought that Torrhen had an imaginary friend. But as Benjen continued to observe, he discovered that the little boy was carrying on a conversation with someone; and that worried Benjen. Was his nephew mad?