Chapter 21 The Last Straw

At that moment, Ned came into the Godswood. He stopped short when he saw Robb and Torrhen kneeling on the ground and Robb in tears. Ned's brow furrowed, and he hurried towards his children.

“What's going on? What happened?”

“Nothing, Fath-”

“Do not say that, Torrhen! What my mother did was the worst thing she could have done. She tried to turn me against you so I could usurp your position.”

Ned looked at Robb, surprised, “What?!” He knew that Catelyn hated Torrhen, but he never thought she would go so far as to usurp Torrhen's position as his heir using Robb. Ned's face reddened in anger. That was the last straw. There were many things he could put up with about his wife, but this was a treasonous act, and Ned would not stand for it. At that moment, Ned decided to set Catelyn aside as his wife and send her back to her father. He would not have a woman like that turning his children against each other.

Ned never loved Catelyn anyway; she was his brother's bride. It was only out of obligation that he married Cat, and Ned had regretted it since they married in Sept. The only thing Ned didn't regret was his children; that was the only good thing Catelyn did.

Ned didn't say anything; he abruptly turned and left the godswood in search of Catelyn. He wanted her gone at once. Torrhen and Robb looked at each other and followed their father. Ned stormed into the castle and demanded to know where Catelyn was. The servants informed her that she was with Septa Mordane in her solar.

Ned walked towards Lady Stark's chambers. He was about to open the door when he heard the woman talking, “Septa Mordane, I want you to keep my daughters away from my husband's bastard son.”

“You mean the one that was legitimized?” The Septa asked.

“No, my husband's eldest son, the one he had with that Dornish whore. I do not believe he is a trueborn son or even Ned's. I can keep Robb away from him, he hates Torrhen anyway, and Brandon doesn't know him. I don't want that man tainting my children with his Dornish immorality.”

Ned had heard enough; he threw the door open and stormed in. Ned glared at Septa Mordane, “Leave us,” Ned ordered.

Septa Mordane hurried out of her Lady's room as quickly as possible. As soon as the door was shut, Ned turned his ire toward Catelyn, “How dare you! How dare you turn Robb against Torrhen and try to manipulate the others.”

Catelyn straightened her back, “I did nothing of the sort.”

“No, Robb told me everything; how you were trying to get him to Usurp his brother's position and poisoned his mind against Torrhen by hiding the letters that Torrhen sent him.”

“I did nothing of the sort. Your son only cares for you, other Bastard,”

Catelyn's eyes widened, and she covered her mouth. Ned had a thundering look and took a step toward Cat. She backed away from him. It took every ounce of control for him not to strike her. Instead, Ned took a calming breath and glared at her, “I want you gone. I am ending this farce of a marriage. I am setting you aside and sending you back to your father.”

Catelyn's eyes widened, “You cannot do that!”

“I just did. I want nothing to do with you ever again.”

“But I love you, Ned.”

“Unfortunately for you, I do not, I never have, and I never will. You have until tomorrow to organize your things and leave Winterfell. Do not contact my children ever again. I am tired of this farce of a marriage, and turning my children against Torrhen was the last straw. I will send a raven to your father, telling him to expect you and your household in Riverrun soon.”

With that, Ned turned and left a stunned Catelyn standing there.