Chapter 4 A Lord's Fury

Ned went to the nursery to check on his sons. He carefully walked in and saw that Robb was fast asleep. He smiled down at his second-born son, Robb was all Tully, he had hardly any features of a Stark. Ned ran his finger down Robb's cheek before moving on to Jon. To his surprise, Jon was wide awake. Ned reached down and picked up his nephew and held him close. Ned sat down in a chair and rocked Jon until he fell asleep. A lone tear ran down Ned's cheek. If Lyanna hadn't have been so impulsive, she'd still be alive. But at least Ned still had a part of her, and Ned was going to cherish Jon and treat him like his son, whether his Lady Wife liked it or not.

At the thought of Catelyn, Ned frowned. How could she think that it was alright to put his sons on the other side of Winterfell? No matter how angry she was at him, Catelyn had no right to separate Torrhen from him or Jon; and then glaring at Torrhen during the feast! ‘I will not tolerate such behavior towards Torrhen.’ Ned thought.

Once Ned was sure that Jon was asleep, he put Jon back in his crib and left the nursery. He went back to his room and got ready for bed; tomorrow, he would talk to Catelyn. If she wanted this marriage to work, she needs to accept the fact that Torrhen was his heir. While Ned was getting ready for bed, Catelyn was in the middle of writing a letter to her father about finding a way to have Torrhen declared a bastard. She would have Maester Luwin send the message in the morning.

The next morning, Torrhen was awakened by Abagal. He gave her a bright smile that reminded her of Ashara, “Good morning, Abagal.”

“Good morning Torrhen, how did you sleep?”

“Good, thank you. Is it time to break my fast?”

“Aye, Torrhen, let's get you ready.”

Torrhen kicked off his blankets and shivered, “It's cold!”

“I know it is, Torrhen, you're used to the heat of Dorne. But you'll get used to being here soon enough.”

“I hope so. Abagal?”

“Torrhen?”

“May I see my brothers today?”

“I don't see why not. Dania should be feeding Jon right now.”

“Let's go!”

“No, you need to get dressed first.”

Torrhen frowned, looking just like Ned, “Fine,” He said, then got out of bed.

Abagal laughed and began to change Torrhen into his clothes for the day and put on his boots. She then put on his fur cloak, then took his hand and led him to the nursery to see his brothers. As they walked, Torrhen noticed that Arthur wasn't with him, Torrhen shrugged.

‘Uncle must be exploring the castle.’

Abagal knocked on the door, and Dania answered. Abagal opened the door, “Is it alright that we come in?”

“Of course, Abagal. Good morning, Torrhen.”

“Good morning, Dania. May I see Jon?”

“Of course, he just finished eating.”

Dania covered up, then burped Jon. She cradled the baby in her arms and motioned Torrhen to come closer. Torrhen smiled when he reached out, and Jon grabbed his finger, “He has Papa's eyes.”

“Aye, he does.”

“When can I play with him and Robb?”

“Oh, not for a while, Torrhen. Maybe when they're two name days old. Meanwhile, you need to protect them, can you do that?” Abagal asked.