Chapter 17 Homecoming Feast

When Torrhen walked into his chambers, he smiled. He saw that Abigal had put the blanket that his mother had made for him on top of his furs as she had when he was a child, and it warmed his heart to have a piece of her with him still. Torrhen noticed that a bath had already been drawn for him, so he undressed and got in to bathe and remove the travel grime from his body. Sinking into the water, Torrhen sighed at the feel of the hot water on his tired body. It would take him a while to get used to the cold again.

Once he had finished his bath, Torrhen dried off and dressed. He laid down for a quick nap before the family feast. While Torrhen was resting, the rest of the Stark children were talking excitedly about his return. Arya and Bran couldn't wait to see the gifts that Torrhen had brought for them, and Sansa couldn't wait to hear all about Dorne and Starfall. Jon was looking forward to Torrhen telling them stories about his adventures with Prince Oberyn in Essos.

The only ones that didn't say anything were Robb and Theon. Robb didn't care about what Torrhen had been doing all these years; he was sure that whatever it was, it would make Torrhen unfit to be Lord of Winterfell. Robb had heard stories of the Red Viper, and he was convinced that Torrhen would behave exactly like the Prince. Robb thought that Torrhen would be arrogant, self-centered, and someone of loose morals. Robb was confident that he would be a better lord than Torrhen.

Theon thought that Torrhen was an ass and an attention seeker, and if Robb wanted to usurp Torrhen's claim as Warden of the North, Theon would help him. After all, it was to Theon's advantage to have Robb be Lord of Winterfell. Theon was optimistic that the Northern Lords would never accept Torrhen as their Liege Lord anyway; Torrhen was a stranger, and they would support Robb over his older brother.

Torrhen slept until that evening when he heard a knock on his chamber door. He called out for the person to enter and smiled when Torrhen saw Sansa had entered. Torrhen grinned at his little sister, “To what do I owe this visit, little sister?”

Sansa blushed, “Father sent me; it is time for dinner.”

Torrhen sat up and leaned over, and grabbed his boots; putting them on, he put on his black and grey doublet and placed the wolf pin his father had given to him when he was a child. Once Torrhen was ready, he picked a bag of gifts, slung it over his shoulder, and offered his arm to his sister. Sansa smiled and took Torrhen's arm and led him to the Great Hall.

Before they arrived, Torrhen could smell the excellent food wafting from the kitchen. He could also tell that Abigal had made some dishes that Torrhen was familiar with from Dorne. Abigal knew that Torrhen would first find the food from the North a little bland after spending so much time in Dorne and traveling with Prince Oberyn.

When Sansa and Torrhen arrived at the Great Hall, Ned stood up and walked down to greet his son. He hugged Torrhen tightly and escorted him to the chair next to Ned's, where the heir of Winterfell should be seated. Robb, who had been sitting there the whole time Torrhen was gone, on his mother's insistence, scowled at his brother. Robb sat with the rest of his siblings right below the central dais; he had never felt more embarrassed, though his siblings didn't seem to mind.

Ned informed the servants that dinner could be served, and the feast was brought out. While the food was being brought out, Catelyn scowled at having Torrhen take Robb's place at the high table, but for the most part, Torrhen ignored her. Lady Catelyn's opinion of him mattered very little.