Chapter 27 The Time Has Come

Dacey and her sisters spent several weeks at Winterfell, though Maege had to return to Bear Island to oversee her people. Torrhen wanted to, at least, know a little more about his bride-to-be before getting married. He knew that it was too short of time for him and Dacey to fall in love; perhaps they could at least be friends. However, Torrhen was convinced that they would eventually fall in love. He already felt affection for Dacey as she did for him.

The couple spent as much time together as possible, even sparring together. Torrhen was pleased that Dacey was such a formidable fighter. He knew what the women on Bear Island were like, and Torrhen expected nothing less from the future Lady of Winterfell. As they sparred, Torrhen heard a noise; he glanced and saw Nyx walking towards the sparring ring with the little Snow Bear behind her. The bear cub suddenly plopped down on its bottom and mewled. Nyx turned to look at the complaining cub. She sighed and walked back toward the baby. Nyx picked up the cub by the scruff of the neck and carried him the rest of the way.

Dacey almost hit Torrhen when she noticed that he was looking at something and smiling. Dacey turned and burst into laughter when she saw Nyx carrying her snow cub by the scruff of the neck. She swore that if Nyx could, Nyx would have rolled her eyes in annoyance while the cub happily swung back and forth.

Nyx walked toward Dacey and dropped the cub in front of her. The Direwolf sighed again and walked toward Torrhen, sitting next to him. Dacey laughed and picked the snow cub up, cuddling him to her chest. Torrhen smiled at the sight, "Have you named him yet?"

Dacey looked at Torrhen, "Not yet."

"May I make a suggestion? How about naming him Nanook? It means Snow Bear." In reality, it meant Polar Bear from his previous world.

Dacey thought about it and nodded, "I like that, thank you, Torrhen," She answered with a smile.

Torrhen returned the smile and kissed Dacey's hand. Torrhen had learned well from Prince Oberyn, though he never used it on a lady who wasn't his bride. Dacey couldn't help her cheeks flushing in embarrassment. It was unlike her to behave in such a manner, but Torrhen brought out the giggly maiden in her.

The Northern Lords wanted Torrhen and Dacey to marry immediately, but Torrhen discussed with Dacey about waiting a year before they got married, or at the very least six months. After Dacey agreed, Torrhen spoke with his father, and Lady Maege Mormont Maege and Ned agreed. The last thing Ned wanted was for his son to marry a stranger, as he did.

As time went on, Dacey and Torrhen became closer, much to Ned's delight. He sent a letter to Maege updating her on how things were going. Maege responded, telling Ned that she was pleased that the young couple were getting along. Maege and Ned would not be surprised if a wedding announcement went out to The Northern Lords sooner rather than later.

Weeks turned into months as Torrhen and Dacey got to know each other. Dacey enjoyed her time at Winterfell, learning the ins and outs of the castle and its history. Now that Lady Tully was gone, it fell to Sansa to run the household. Dacey decided that the best way to learn more about the Keep's people and daily routine was to help Sansa run Winterfell. Learning her duties as the next Lady of Winterfell did not mean she gave up on her other pursuits.