Jyu Hachi (Part Two)

J Y U

J Y U

H A C H I

(P A R T  T W O)

Against the Magician of the East

(The Shokugeki)

(。ŏ﹏ŏ)🥗(눈‸눈)

Megumi slowly went over to the table where all the ingredients were. She was shaking. She can hear her heartbeat ringing through her ears. Her stomach was spinning around like she went on a rollercoaster ride. She had this lump on her throat that she can't swallow down — she's really pressured! Her fate, along with her two friends, lies within her dish! She can't afford to fail!

'What should I cook? Can I even make a dish that can defeat Chef Shinomiya?! No, no, no— stay calm, Megumi!'

From the corner of the kitchen, Ikki was leaning his back on a wall. He had his arms crossed as he stared at Megumi with a blank look on his face. He clenched his fists in frustration because he felt guilty for putting the girl in that kind of position, and felt useless because he can't do anything but watch.

"You seem tense, Hirabayashi-kun," Mizuhara didn't even need to look at him to know. "Why?"

Ikki sighed. "Who wouldn't be, Chef Mizuhara? My two friends are there, cooking for all of our sake, and I can't do anything to help them, even when I'm the reason that we're here in this situation."

"You said you trust them..." Mizuhara scoffed as she glanced at him from over her shoulder. "Did you lie about that?"

"Of course I didn't! I trust them, and I know that they can do this..."

"Then you should have nothing to worry about," Mizuhara gave him a small smile. "Just because you aren't cooking, doesn't mean you're entirely useless. Moral support might not be as flashy, but it's more than enough to help."

'She's right. Rather than sulking here, I should just support them,' Ikki understood, letting a smile grace his lips as well. "I never thought you'd have such words of wisdom, Chef Mizuhara."

"Huh?! What's that supposed to mean?!"

"But, thank you..." he said, relaxing a bit. "Thanks, Chef Mizuhara."

"It's just Mizuhara for you."

Ikki didn't know why, but he saw Mizuhara as the big sister he never had — despite the fact that he's taller than her. "Okay, Mizuhara-san."

"Dojima-san," Shinomiya suddenly called, gathering everyone's attention. "I already know what to make. May I start cooking?"

Dojima nodded. "Go on."

Shinomiya began to walk back to his station, but halted to scoff at his opponents. "Ha! I feel for you, Yukihira and Hirabayashi."

Soma, who was worriedly staring at Megumi's back, turned his head to look at the chef. Meanwhile, Ikki merely squinted his eyes at him, feeling rather displeased at the attitude he's showing. Although he knew that Shinomiya wasn't exactly one with a heart of gold, he's just too much sometimes.