Book One: Chapter 2

Geez! My breath turned chilly as the judges held up their scoreboards, each with number 3's on them.

"Nine points for Shark Head High!" the announcer said.

Oh, thank god! My cool breath escaped from my lips. Like I was ready to get a freaking heart attack!

The Shark Head cheerleaders were awful. Like they only did amateurish jumping jacks while waving their pom-poms as if they needed attention. Geez, acting cute doesn't make you a superstar.

After the audience padded their hands instead of clapping, the Shark Heads returned to their seats in tears.

Oh boo-who, crybabies. What did you totally expect?

Up next three points.

"Three points for the Ice Penguins!" said the announcer.

The Ice Penguin girls dropped their big mouths and cried in despair.

Oh, my god! Of course, they did worst!

Building a pyramid with backflips equaled falling down on your ass. An easy recipe for failure.

But not to be a total downer, I knew it would be amazing if they had accomplished that trick. The last girl didn't leap too high and crashed into the squad like bowling pins. It was so heartbreaking, nobody could stop laughing. Thank god that wasn't my squad.

Next, seven points each.

"Angry Beavers get 21 points."

Wha-wha-what? The Angry Beavers got 21 points! Dammmmmmn!

I totally never expected they would earn that high score. But it kind of made sense after they cartwheeled over a balancing beam and stood on each other's shoulder to form a tall ladder with their pom-poms waving. So hard to say they were impressive when they were the enemy!

Anyway, the judges held up number nines next.

"Twenty-seven points for the Tiger Claw!" the announcer shouted.

Noooooooooooo! My fear totally came true!

The Tiger Claw cheerleaders copied the Ice Penguins, except they didn't fall on their butts. They backflipped and landed into a pyramid stance with a better balance. Damn, the Ice Penguins must be jealous.

The Tiger Claws danced and hugged each other like they won the war or something.

Geez, they shouldn't get their freaking hopes up.

"And now for the final squad!" the announcer shouted.

Oh, my god! Oh, my god! My legs shivered as I clung with my fists together. God, did I totally looked like I needed to pee?

So nervous, I placed my hands on my face. I couldn't look at the scores!

"Thirty points for the Mighty Wolves!" the announcer's voice shouted. "The winners of the 20th Annual Moondale High Cheerleading Competition!"

Yucks!

All my girlfriends hugged me as we whirled around like we were in a freaking twister! I screamed my lungs out, jumping with my squad.

Thank god! We did it! We did it!

"I told you not to worry!" Holly shouted.

Awwwwwwww! Holly was totally our lucky charm! I couldn't stop hugging her!

*****

After the competition, we walked into the clear parking lot outside the football field. My daddy was the town's sheriff, and he couldn't make it to the competition. But I didn't care. He saw my performance before, which counted. But the good thing about him not picking up, I get to spend time with my boyfriend tonight!