Chapter Sixteen: First Light

"Darling!" he said "i've got a surprise for you, my pet" donny called from the living room; he was home early. I put down the book i was reading- the satanic bible -and walked downstairs quickly to him, my hands clenching my jeans. He didn't notice that i was standing behind him in the doorway of the kitchen and he yelled "jackie! Get your ass down here, now!" i flinched and he turned, seeing me "i've got a present" he muttered and walked into the garage, then came back with a puppy in his hand. I stared at it, then him, then back at it. He handed her to me. "She's all yours- i thought this would be a good way to get you out of the house a little. You've been doing so good" he said, his arm gripping my shoulder "i thought we'd go out today, would you like that?" he asked. I hadn't been out since i came. He was going to let me out? He'd been telling me i could leave whenever i wanted- but that's only when his bursts of anger would come and he'd proceed to threaten to hurt the people i love. Even dave.. But i wasn't allowed to mention him. Last time i did... it wasn't good.

"Yes" i said. Although his temper never got better- he was easier to live with now i knew him better and could predict his behavior a bit more. Still it was pretty random. I just needed to do what he said.

"Would you like to go now?" he asked slowly, rather impatient. Right, he wanted me to smile. So i did. I didn't want the dog. It made me think of reaper... i tried to keep my real life out of this other dimension i was living. It hurt me to think of reaper. But the dog did nothing wrong. I pet her.

"Yes, but where are we going?" he smiled back. I wondered what had him in such a good mood today.

"To a store" he said and nodded "we have to get you things for school- it's tomorrow" tomorrow? Jesus how long had i been there... i nodded and slowly put the puppy down. I'd been through hell in the recent weeks. Too much...

"Lets go" he said and grabbed my arm, taking me to the car. It was weird to me. And cold. But the good kind. Donny was wealthy, which i guess was a silver lining out of all of this. He bought me things- even if i didn't like or want them. He would always remind me that i had no money before him- that i should be grateful. It made me laugh.

"Now, i may send you off to go get some things" he said while he drove "but you will stay with me unless i say so, got it?" he asked and i nodded vigorously. I was anxious.

We went to a mall. It surprised me he'd bring me to such a crowded place. But he knew i wouldn't run. I got out of the jeep and felt the air. I was horrified to say i didn't really like it. Somehow it made me want to go back inside and curl up with my stuffed bear donny got me.

"Donny?" i asked quietly, looking up at him. He looked down "what if someone talks to me?" he laughed and put his hand on the back of my neck. To anyone looking it looked like a common show of affection. Like he was holding my hand; but it was a show that he loved me, but also that i wasn't going anywhere. It was passive aggressive affection.

"You'll talk to them, sweetheart" he smiled "you are just a normal girl. You will focus on your studies, and love me. I may even let you hang out with friends" excitement filled me "if your good" i nodded. Maybe i could find kirk. Kirk... i missed his energy. Or maybe david- but im sure david knew dave was cheating and was keeping it from me.

We made it in and it was overwhelming. We walked around together, just grabbing a few things like notebooks and pens for my schoolwork.

"Now" donny said and he looked at a list "you're going to be going into senior year instead of junior" he said "i spoke to your shool and convinced them of your academic excellence" jeez, who couldn't he sweet talk. I was mostly silent the whole time. Everywhere i looked i thought i saw dave. It made me angry. He didn't care about me... he didn't even look for me. Donny was right. Donny was right. Dave didn't want me anymore. I still wanted him... but i couldn't admit that. Donny sent me off to get milk. He was giving me privilege little by little.

Someone came up to me. Shit.

"Jesus, jackie" he said "you look like shit, what happened to you, i haven't seen you all summer" he smiled. I stared at him. It'd only been about two months but somehow i'd forgotten how to effectively communicate. I laughed awkwardly

"Well i'll see you in class" i said, grabbed the milk and quickly walked back, my eyes on the ground. Donny kissed me passionately when i got back.

"Good girl" he said and we left. I had such conflicting feelings. I wanted to get out. To never see him again, but he'd ingrained it in me he was all i had. That he gave me more stability than anyone else, and i had nowhere to go but be with him. The rest of the night was... good, actually. We watched a movie and ate dinner. He only hit me once, because the dog pissed on the carpet. He made me go to sleep early, though, because of school the next day.