Chapter Twenty-Three: Junior's Bad Pancakes

The feelings i was having were confusing. It was a relief because he'd be gone from my life for a little while- and this was my time to try and get him arrested. I was so insanely happy- but there was a recurring feeling of worry. Was he okay? I couldn't shake the feeling, but my happiness outweighed the fear. There was a stupid part of me that was attached to him. He'd broken into me that i needed him, even though i was fully capable of living by myself. At least i thought i was. But deep down i knew i needed dave, and dave needed me.

This was it. The first night me and dave had together in months- of course, junior was still there, though. Reaper and jessie- the puppy -got along very well, and david was completely attached to her, it was completely adorable. Dave opened his arms up once he laid down. I crawled into his arms- and there was the pain again. I couldn't figure out what, if anything, was triggering it.

"You alright?" he asked softly, my hair in his hands. I took a deep breath, and he mimicked me. I thought it was cute when he mirrored me unconsciously like that.

"No" i whined I'd told him about it, but convinced him it was really nothing after he'd grown concerned and said we should go to a doctor "i'd rather not have a satanic little beast inside of me" i said and he chuckled. It was a joke- but i wasn't so sure anymore. The thing was constantly hurting me, especially at the worst times.

"Maybe me and the beast" he laughed again "will get along just fine"

"Im positive" i looked up at him, smiling. He looked into my eyes. That always gave me chills... you really know theres mutual love when you can look into someone's eyes and find your happy place. The place that makes your entire body melt, and your thoughts run wild, yet there are no thoughts. Just his eyes. Dave's eyes. dave's hand went up to my cheek.

"You are going to make the best mother i've ever seen" he said and kissed me, softly sucking on my bottom lip. Just then junior busted open the door. He covered his eyes

"There's some guy for you, jack" he said, not moving his fingers from his eyes. I sighed and got out of bed. Dave held my hand. I didn't understand who would be here- it was like midnight.

Donny apparently overdosed on cocaine earlier that day. He wasn't dead- but pretty damn close. I wasn't sure when he'd be out of rehab, but i was pretty sure i was safe until then. I wondered if he'd go to jail or not. Or if they'd convict him of anything other than drug use.

It was a cop. What?

"You're jackie?" he asked and i nodded, slightly hiding behind dave. I felt like a little kid.

"jeez you're hard to find" he chuckled "we tried your father, then your mother, and neither of them could give clear directions here, so we're sorry to get involved this late at night" i didn't answer. I was, in all honesty, mortified. I wanted him to keep going, but dave spoke up for me.

"Sorry, but what are you doing here?" dave asked. I was surprised he was being so calm with a cop there. He didn't particularly like them, which wasn't surprising in the slightest.

"I just need to take jackie in to clear up some questions at the station" he said. He looked very nice, but i was still quite intimidated. Dave sort of shuffled me to the side of him, instead of behind him, and put his arm around my waist.

"As long as she doesn't leave my side" dave said in a protective voice. It wasn't quite threatening, but it was close.

"Sure, sure" he said.

"I'm sorry" dave said in an apologetic tone "we're not exactly ready to go out right now, give us a few minutes?" the officer nodded and told us he'd be waiting to give us a ride. Dave threw me my coat and looked at me. "Are you gonna be okay?" he asked. I nodded slowly. I hoped i would be okay.