•Part 22•

Fear makes people do terrible things - Remus Lupin

The next morning was dark. But it was the new normal. The sun wasn't going to shine like it used to.

I went to History of Magic class after breakfast and sat down next to Hermione. The room was quiet and dark. Everyone, including myself, looked tired and miserable. We got assigned so much homework since we all got into N.E.W.T. level classes. It was exhausting trying to keep up. I filled my passing time with Herbology which helped me calm down.

I spent my dinner studying in the library. Then going to bed hoping that the next day would get better, but it never did. Even quidditch was canceled because it wasn't safe enough to fly outside. It was disappointing knowing that we couldn't do all of the fun activities we use to be able to do.

I couldn't fall asleep again one night, so I stole Harry's map and followed Malfoy's footprints. I was so close to him, but he disappeared once more. I marked my finger to where he disappeared and walked cautiously since I didn't know what this was leading me to.

When I approached the part of the map where my finger was, it was just a wall. Nothing special about it. But then I remembered that across the hall was the tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy. Every night Malfoy was going to the room of requirements. But why?

He might have made his own army like Harry did last year. Maybe an army of his own. An army that was only open for those who had a dark mark. I sure hoped that wasn't true.

Suddenly the door opened. It wasn't the room of requirements that I remembered. It was stacked full of rubbish old stuff. I walked in slowly, gripping my wand in my hand. I folded the Marauders Map away so if I got caught, it wouldn't show.

I saw Malfoy by a particular cabinet. He was mumbling some kind of spell. I couldn't hear it or see anything happening. It was kind of amusing actually.

After a while, I got bored and decided it was time to go. It was late, and I was getting tired.

"Sanders?" I froze. Malfoy caught me red handed. He came up to me and turned me around.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"What?" I asked trying to play dumb. "I'm just sleepwalking.

Clearly, that didn't get past him as smoothly as I wanted it to be.

"Your nose twitches when you're lying," he said. I grabbed my nose.

"I was going back anyway," I said, turning away from him. But he tugged on my shoulder which made me come back to him.

"I can't let you go without you promising me this," he said whispering.

"Go on."

"You have to keep this a secret. Trust me, it's going to all work out in the end," he said letting loose of my shoulder.

"Fine," I said, beginning to walk away. But he pulled me back.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

I walked a little bit down the hallway.

"Wait, Ali?" He called out.

"Yes," I answered him, turning around.

"I'm afraid," he said as his face suddenly covered in fear.

"What is it that you're afraid of?" I asked him.

"I don't want t-to become like my father. He's evil and cruel."

"Draco, you're nothing like your father. Your sweet, with a little bit of sour. A good sour of course. I don't think you're going to end up like your father Draco. As long as you don't join them. The death eaters," I said.

"Then, I promise to not join them. Because the last thing I want to do is become a part of them."

"Good night Draco," I said, giving him a smile.

"Good night Ali."

I headed back to my dorm tiredly. It was only then that I realized that I wasn't scared of him. And he knew I wasn't scared of him. I'm guessing it was my tiredness that made me not care one little bit about his danger. Or maybe that he would never hurt me since he loves me.

The next morning I couldn't wake up. I was way too tired to get out of bed. Luckily Hermione brought me toast and my favorite tea. I was starving since I haven't eaten anything since lunch yesterday. I was just planning on sneaking in the kitchen later.

School felt long and boring. In defense against the dark arts class, Professor Farrah was very harsh on us. She made us do tests every week and we learned at least ten different spells in that one week.