•Part 7•

When you are happy you enjoy the music. When you are sad you understand the lyrics.

Monday morning, I felt better than usual. Not because of that awkward kiss that Malfoy gave me on Friday, but the Yule Ball. I guess it was not just obvious to me, but to Hermione as well.

"Are you feeling any better?" she asked.

"Way better," I said smiling widely.

The Yule Ball was on Thursday, and I was excited. I didn't have a date yet, but I was still really excited.

When we went down for breakfast Monday morning, everyone was talking about the Yule Ball, even some boys. I could tell that it brought joy to the students and professors.

Later in the day, when Hermione and I were walking down the halls, boys were already asking girls to go with them.

"I hope a boy asks me out soon," I said.

"Yeah, but going with a friend would be nice too," Hermione said. I gave her a weird look. I mean this was our 5th year, we can have some fun.

"Sorry, I just think it would be awkward."

"I agree," I said thinking about how awkward it would actually be.

"Do you think Ron or Harry are going to ask any girls out?" Hermione asked giggling.

"No, they're too shy," I said, giving her a pleasing smile.

We walked to our dark arts class since it was our first class of the day. When we got there, only two seats were open. Luckily they were next to Harry and Ron.

My eye caught Malfoy and Goyle having a conversation. Before I could sit down, Draco whispered into Goyle's ear. I couldn't make out what he was saying, but I knew it was something about the Yule Ball. He probably asked Pansy to the Ball, but I could care less.

"Today we will be taking the second part of the exam," Professor Umbridge said. "I hope you all have studied well and hard for this."

This was my best class, so I was not scared as much as I was for the potions exam. I was still really scared of Umbridge though. I'm shocked how Harry handled her so well on the first day.

About an hour later, Malfoy stood up and handed his paper in. When he walked back to his seat, he smirked at me. It made me flinch in a weird way.

To me, this was not just a test anymore, it was a competition. I worked even faster so I could beat Hermione, who was the smartest person I knew. Four minutes later, I turned my paper in. And when I walked back to my spot, giving Malfoy the same look he gave me.

—•—

When class was almost over, Malfoy made this paper bird and blew it over to me. I was shocked that Professor Umbridge did not notice it. She would probably give us both detention without even thinking about it.

I opened it quickly. It read 'meet me by the Slytherin common room' with a little smiley face at the end. I guess Hermione read it too since she nudged me with a don't fall for it face. I'm surprised that Malfoy was not embarrassed by the failed kiss he tried to give me on Friday.

Still, Hermione still did not trust Malfoy, but I don't blame her. I wasn't sure if this was a joke or not, but why not go and see what happens.

Professor Umbridge walked down the aisle I was sitting in, so I quickly hid the paper note under my desk. She didn't notice it, but I could tell that she suspected something between us.