•Part 8•

Be careful... not all are what they seem. Some people pretend that they are the beach, but they are actually quicksand.
- Steve Maraboli

When Professor Umbridge dismissed us, I went straight to the Slytherin common room entrance. I didn't have much time since History of Magic was my next class. I was also a bit scared to be by the Slytherin common room because as a Gryffindor, we get scolded by Slytherins all of the time. And now that I would be standing by their common room, I knew I was going to get weird looks.

I patiently waited for Malfoy, scared that he would not come, and just leave me here to make a fool out of myself. But finally, I found him walking down the hall alone, which was unusual. He was usually found with Blaise or Goyle, but I was thankful that his friends would not be awkwardly listening in on this conversation.

"Hello," Malfoy said.

"Hi," I said quietly hoping that other Slytherins weren't looking. "You wanted to talk?"

"Em, yeah," he said, giving people dirty looks so they would go away.

"About what exactly?"

"Would you, maybe, want to go to the Yule Ball with me?" He said shyly but still with a serious face.

I knew he said it like that because he didn't like when people said no to him. It was hard for me to choose though. I didn't want to hesitate either. He was going really fast. And Malfoy is really complicated.

"Go ahead," he said, "laugh."

I was still in shock. "No, um, I'll go with you."

"Oh, ok, good!" He said smiling. "See you soon?"

"We have the same class next," I said giggling.

"I knew that," he said, trying to cover it up. We walked down the halls till we reached History of Magic class.

"Late to class, Malfoy and Sanders." Professor Binns said as we walked into the doorway.

"Yeah sorry, we got a bit lost on the stairways," Draco said, trying to save us from getting detention.

"Very well then," he said slowly.

I got red in the face since Hermione was sitting next to Luna, and there were only two seats left that were next to each other. Which meant I had to sit next to Malfoy for the first time ever.

I went to go sit down hoping that the clock would go faster. But everyone can agree that Mr. Binn's class is more boring than fun.

"So, since this is the last week of school, I would like to tell you all something," Professor Binns said. "I will be retiring from this job, so next year you are going to have a new History of Magic professor."

Everyone started whispering to each other. Professor Binns was a nice person. He taught me well in my five years that I have been going to Hogwarts. And he has been teaching here for a long time, even after he died. But I still congratulated him on his retirement.

"If you have any further questions, you can stay after class to tell me."

When class was finally over, Hermione and Luna came up to me. I guess Hermione told Luna that Malfoy gave me a note that told me to meet him by the Slytherin common room.

"So, was it a trick?" Hermione said.

"He asked me out. But I'm not sure if it's a joke still."

I went on to say what happened, and I could tell that Hermione was surprised.

"Malfoy did what?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah I know, I wasn't expecting it either."

"Just be careful around him, ok? I don't want you getting hurt," Hermione said.

"Yeah, Malfoy seems mysterious," Luna added.

When we got to the library, I got all of my papers and books out and started to do my homework. Hermione kept warning me about Malfoy, and that she was worried, which made us late for dinner. I didn't think that Malfoy would be that way since he really did ask me out in private.

"Where have you guys been?" Ron asked. "We were worried that you guys got detention or something."

"Oh, we were just in the library talking. Anyways have you guys asked anyone out yet?" Hermione asked.

Ron got red in the face.

"No," he said shyly.

"Harry?"

"No. I might go alone though."

"I'm sure you guys will get someone soon," I said smiling.

"Well did anyone ask you guys out?" Ron asked.

"Malfoy," Hermione said. Ron's face got even redder.

"Malfoy asked you out?" Ron asked.

"What? No," she said laughing, "he asked Ali."

Ron gave me a half-smile. I could tell that he was worried for me as well.

—•—

Later on, in that week, more people were getting asked out. I was going with Malfoy, Ginny was going with Longbottom, Ron and Harry were supposedly going by themselves, and Hermione got asked by Viktor Krum. She said yes of course.

Somehow, the news got around that Malfoy asked me out. I could tell by the look on Pansy's face, that she was not happy. But I didn't care because I finally felt more powerful than her.

Now that everyone knew about us being together, people were guessing why we were both late to class. I was scared that they had the wrong idea, so I told them what happened. And Wednesday night at dinner, Malfoy came up to me.

"We have to talk."

a/n: Ok so I know that the Yule Ball takes place during winter and in their 4th year, but since the storyline isn't exactly like the Harry Potter books and movie, it's going to be around the end of the year.
Just imagine Umbridge going to the Yule Ball ew...