Chapter 23: Hospitals

Chapter 23

"It's 10:30, you guys should be in bed." Wesley yawned, leaning against the wall as Mark served the ball.

"You have to win by two dammit." I muttered, hitting the ball back to him.

"Fine but if you're not done soon then I'm leaving and you won't have a ref." Wesley sighed.

"We don't need a ref." Mark said quickly, hitting the ball back to me. I easily returned the fast ball, a grin spreading on my face.

"If you guys didn't have a ref, you'd attack each other." Wesley said sleepily, running his hand down his face.

Mark laughed, glancing at Wesley.

I took that opportunity for a fast shot to the corner of the table.

"HA! VICTORY!" I yelled, throwing up my paddle in excitement.

"No that's not fair I wasn't looking!" Mark exclaimed, his eyes widening.

"I still win!" I yelled excitedly, jumping up onto the couch.

"Hey hey keep it down alright? The house is asleep." Wesley gave me a look.

"Okay who died and made you dad?" I rolled my eyes.

"One more game. Just one more." Mark pleaded, looking at Wesley for approval.

"No! I won fair and square!" I exclaimed, stepping up onto the back of the couch.

"Marley!" Wesley exclaimed. "Get down you're going to get hurt!"

I rolled my eyes, jumping off of the back.

A crack broke through the silence as pain radiated up my leg.

"Holy shit! Was that your leg!" Mark exclaimed.

I froze, my heart beginning to pound.

"Damn Marley I know your knees crack but that was impressive, even for you." Wesley laughed. "But let's go. Bedtime for you two losers."

Tears filled my eyes as I slowly took my weight off of my right foot. "No shit." I whimpered, grabbing the back of the couch.

"Are you just joking or are you actually hurt?" Wesley asked seriously as both of them walked towards me.

"I'm actually hurt." I managed, closing my eyes. "That really hurt my foot."

"You probably just twisted you're ankle, you're fine." Mark said. "Come on we'll help you upstairs."

I wrapped my arms around their shoulders, carefully trying to put weight on my right foot.

"No no no I can't." I whimpered, shaking my head as a tear fell down my cheek. "Please just go get dad. I mean Jane, just go get Jane, or somebody, please."

"Mark, stay." Wesley said, pointing to the couch as Mark and I sat down.

"What am I, a dog?" Mark laughed as Wesley disappeared.

"Well you certainly smell like one." I teased, wiping my cheek.

"Ah she's cracking jokes, she's totally fine." Mark laughed.

I rolled my eyes, trying to take a deep breath. "No dammit it really hurts."

A moment later, Wesley returned with Henry and Jane.

"You had to bring both of them?" I groaned. I winced as Jane sat down on the couch.

"What happened?" She asked sleepily, looking at my ankle.