Helping hands

The three friends were sitting near the pond. Mexico and Thirteen were talking as Canada played with tadpoles and little frogs in the pond water.

"Mexico... I wish... I wish we could just have our own kingdom. Far away from everyone...," Thirteen said.

"How would we?" Mexico asked.

"I don't know... maybe when we're older we can get married and conquer land together," Thirteen said.

"Man can marry man?" Mexico asked.

"I don't see why not. And even if they can't... nobody says no to a king! I could make my own rules!" Thirteen exclaimed.

"But you can't be king until British empire and father dies," Canada pointed out. Thirteen sighed.

"Maybe I can convince father to change the rules for us...," Thirteen said. Mexico sighed.

"My grandfather won't bless," Mexico said.

"Why not?" Thirteen asked. Mexico adverted his eyes from his friends.

"Savage like me does not belong with royalty," Mexico said.

"You're not a savage! You're my friend! Who called you a savage? I'll slay them!" Thirteen exclaimed, slashing at the air with a stick jokingly. Mexico chuckled, but then sighed.

"My grandfather... Spanish Empire...," Mexico said. Thirteen perked up at the name.

"Spanish Empire.... where have I heard that name before..." thirteen racked his memory, trying to remember where he heard of this empire. Canada looked up at the sky and sighed.

"It's getting late... we should go home now," Canada said solemnly. The three friends sighed and began making their ways home.

When Mexico got to Philips chamber, he saw Philip there with some food he was able to score.

"Hello, your highness. I have something to tell you," Philip said, just as caring as ever, but Mexico could tell something was troubling him.

"What is it?" Mexico asked, taking a bit of food and sitting down on the bed. Philip sighed.

"W-well... his majesty wants to see you tomorrow... when I bring him breakfast... don't worry, I promise I'll be right next to you the whole time," Philip said. Mexico felt a hint of panic, but he tried his best not to show it.

"Did... did he tell you why?" Mexico asked.

"No... I'm sure it'll be ok," Philip said with false certainty. Mexico tried to believe Philip, but he knew that he shouldn't hold onto false hope.

The next day, Mexico followed Philip through the palace as Philip brought the king his breakfast. They got to Spanish Empires room and Philip knocked on the door.

"Come in," Spanish Empire commanded. Mexico opened the door for Philip, and together they walked into the room. Spanish Empire was sitting up in his bed, awaiting his breakfast.

"Good morning your majesty," Philip said with fake respect. Spanish Empire nodded gently.

"Good morning to you as well my dear, and I see you've brought the boy," Spanish Empire said, looking down at Mexico as if he was an animal. Philip set the breakfast tray down on the bed and nodded.

"Yes, your majesty, is there something you needed from him?" Philip asked.

"Oh, it's nothing I need from him.... I very much appreciate your service, aren't you aware Philip?" Spanish Empire asked.