3) Nightmares and Mystery Boy

"Leave. Me. Alone." I hissed. He pushed me into the wall. I opened my eyes finally to see a a middle aged man whose chin was full of stubble and his breath reeking of alcohol.

"Do you know a Lisa Murry?" He spit all over my face when he spoke.

"No." I lied. What business is it of his who my mother is?

"I used to work with her. What *hiccup* a character." He said slightly slurred.

"I don't know who she is! Now get away from me you creep!" I yelled as I tried to escape his grasp and run. He gripped my wrist tighter and I thought about what color the bruises would be tomorrow.

"HEY! HEY! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOIN?!" A strained voice followed by footsteps grew near. Dylan? The drunk stranger in front of me groaned in annoyance and shoved me to the floor. I knocked my head against the wall on the way down. Before running away, he kicked me hard in the stomach.

I laid there on the floor clutching my midsection with one arm and cradling my head with the other. "DYLAN?" I called. I was starting to feel light headed and I couldn't remember.. was Dylan the one in the hallway...?

"I am getting SICK of this STUPID APARTMENT." I said to myself. I started to feel more and more confused. A face appeared before me. "Dylan?" I whispered before my eyelids grew heavy.

°°°°°«^^»°°°°°

A woman in a long black dress stood before me, her dark tangled waves flowing in the wind, wisps of it sticking to a fresh cut on her cheek. A storm was brewing up above us, the sky was gray and the wind was strong with the feeling of electricity. June gloom.

She glared at a man across the field, who was standing next to a smiling, pregnant, women. He patted her stomach lightly while she talked and laughed, making their way to a very old looking brick house. Although right in front of me, I knew the dark haired woman did not see me.

Then the man kissed the pregnant woman and the lady in front of me took off running. Running straight through me. I wanted to scream or run but my limbs were stiff and I could feel nothing. The dark haired woman broke down in front of him and sobbed, screaming something. I couldn't hear anything at all but I could tell by the panicked look in her eyes, and the way her cheeks grew red while tears streamed down. Something was terribly wrong.

The pregnant women looked down with disgust and motioned to some men behind her to come. Two tall men with ancient looking outfits jogged over from what looked like a village. The sobbing woman stood up with a straight face, trembling, backing away from those in front of her. She walked backwards slowly, nearly tripping over herself. She pointed at the two of them, gesturing with her hands that they were together. An oddly bright light filled everything around me, and suddenly her face seemed inches from mine.

She chanted, and a sickly smile formed on her lips. I couldn't hear what she was saying, and I needed to.

Words I couldn't quite make out were coursing through me as she continued to chant. What is she saying?! I need to know. I thought. I tried to ask her, but it felt as though my entire being were in a straight jacket. The deafening silence was driving me insane and I tried to shut my eyes, tried to look away, but my eyes were trained on her. Forever on her.

She started to laugh. Her cackle ringing through my ears, louder and quieter and louder again. Everything became dark and silent in an instant.

°°°°°«^^»°°°°°

I sprung forward, gasping and choking. "Oh my gosh Scarlett are you okay?" Someone hovered over me with a scared and concerned look. I recognized that face... memories of school and creative writing flashed in my head and I became very confused.

"What-what are you doing here? What happened? What-"

I sat up, pressing an ice pack that mysteriously appeared before I woke up onto my forehead. I reached towards him, but he backed up. He looked like I was going to hurt him, and a frightened expression took over his face.

His light blue eyes bored into mine and I realized I still didn't know his name, yet he was in my apartment at night.

"Who the flabs even are you?!" I yelled trying to get up off the couch I don't remember putting myself on. My head pounded sharply and I cried out in pain.

"Scarlett!" He yelled. "Here.. sit. Sit back on the couch." He motioned not touching me. Did I have a disease or something?

"YOU BETTER START EXPLAINING HOW YOU GOT IN HERE THIS LATE AND WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE I CALL THE COPS ON YOU."

I pointed at him and he smiled, amused. I must've looked ridiculous, threatening him while I couldn't even stand.

"Let me explain." He began.

"My name is..."